Default Clean healing vibes (and suggestions!) please

After a 3 day migraine and only getting 2 hours sleep last night, I found myself looking at this this morning:

Despite having a whole field to sleep in, he has slept in one corner tucked up against the fence, and then when getting up (as far as I can make out), has put his leg through the neighbouring fence, which just happens to be sheep netting, high tension wire and barbed wire. I have a feeling it was the barbed bit which has done the damage

He is so lucky not to have perforated the joint capsule, as he has actually taken chunks out of the fascia, but not gone any deeper (thank goodness).

The vet was a bit blasé, imho, didn't even really look at it, never mind have a prod and poke at it. Just deemed it too large and awkward to stitch so it'll have to be left open; cold hose it twice a day and cover it with aluspray to keep the flies off.

So he's had a big injection of anti inflammatories, and a depo antibiotic (which will need to be repeated on Thursday), and I'm left scratching my head a bit.

I'm sure the little b*gger is trying to make himself unsellable. He still has poorly feets in the front, and how he's going to end up with 1, if not 2 great ugly scars on his leg (to add to the other wire cut he had on this leg as a 2yo).

This is what happens when you have no vet bills for almost 12 years... they all start coming at once.
    Passionate about Mérens horses

Sport horse

Default Re: Clean healing vibes (and suggestions!) please

Oh no, that does look nasty. Hopefully he'll be on the mend soon. Sounds like the last thing you need! We've had no vets bills for two years and now we have had melanomas, a lameness workup (thankfully revealing nothing) and subclinical uveitis - I feel your pain! x

Day 4 and so far things are looking good!

Passionate about Mérens horses

Sport horse

Looking good! x

Schoolmaster

The body's ability to heal is amazing.