Sport horse

Default Lameness in vettings

Just need to pick some brains please.
    I have been trying a horse on my yard last week I've hacked it, had it in school, lunged it on tuesday he was fine, finally decided to go for vetting he trotted up fine did flexion no problem lunged on a small circle on left no problem but came up lame on right about 2/10th vet said.would you still buy a horse like that I've hacked him today and he feels sound he positively bounced round the hack.

Default Re: Lameness in vettings

For myself no .

Old nag

Low grade lameness on the lunge- I would not have it if you gave it to me- from my experience it nearly always lead to something that get progressively worse

Quote Originally Posted by traceyell View Post
    Just need to pick some brains please.
    I have been trying a horse on my yard last week I've hacked it, had it in school, lunged it on tuesday he was fine, finally decided to go for vetting he trotted up fine did flexion no problem lunged on a small circle on left no problem but came up lame on right about 2/10th vet said.would you still buy a horse like that I've hacked him today and he feels sound he positively bounced round the hack.
    I've had similar with a horse I liked, passed flexion, then 1/10th lame on lunge, but on a leg with a substantial amount of scar tissue.

Very disappointing isn't it :-(
    www.teamragtime.co.uk
    A Diva, A Hooligan & a Hapless Human

Old nag

No I wouldn't and even though only showing lame on a circle the horse is lame full stop and shouldn't be ridden.
    Last edited by Pinkvboots; 17-07-17 at 09:06 AM.

Veteran

Nope!

Not slacking-multitasking

No, it's lame.

My 24yo feels positively sound bouncing round on a hack, in reality he has at least one, probably 2 spavins and wear and tear to his annular liagments. How they feel on a hack means nothing (mine would have noticeable issues on a circle but as bilateral doesn't always look 'lame' per se, more how he moves.

I had a 5 stage vetting done on my horse pre-purchase and vet didn't spot she was 1/10 lame on a circle. 3 years on and she is 2/10 lame on a circle having successfully competed at showing and dressage up to Novice with the occasional episode of lameness. Investigations initially showed nothing, one year in the field, now we see thickened annular ligaments and waiting for keyhole surgery on them. Anyway, point is that it may well get worse. Having been with a friend to view quite a few horses recently, it seems they all have an issue! And if you don't see an issue at first, then the vet finds one and there goes 300 again! Keep looking, the heartache of a lame horse is to be avoided.

I have bought older horses who failed flexions before for my OH .
    However I knew I could afford to pay what it costs to manage them and I knew I could send them to the kennels if it went wrong .
    Young horse no way would not touch it with a barge pole ,old horse yes I would consider it but only when I knew what was causing the lameness .

If the horse was lame on both reins i would put it down to a stiffness issue but I find it more alarming that it's just lame on the one rein. For me I would avoid buying this horse sorry.