Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Old nag

Default Re: Contacting breeders when not actively looking for a puppy

Why dont you join a breed group, Lancashire Heelers are a rare breed on the KC vulnerable list but our fb page is excellent and we have people on there who dont have one but would like one in the future. They are a very friendly group though and very supportive of everyone and they talk openly of when they have a planned litter due, only people who health test their dogs are on there.

Sport horse

There's a constant stream of perfectly decent young dogs going through rescue centres...

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by joosie View Post
    There's a constant stream of perfectly decent young dogs going through rescue centres...
    And we will rescue if we can but being realistic I have only been allowed to foster/adopt from one charity in the past as I don't meet the requirements for most so if they have something suitable adoption is always my first port of call but the likelihood is they won't.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Walker View Post
    Yup, I found mine 15 miles away last year and I wanted something incredibly specific breeding wise and then I wanted a big but refined blue and white dog which narrowed it down even more.

Would you like him? Hes a horrid knows best about everything teenager and right now its too hot for his nonsense and I would happily parcel him up and post him off to you
    Happy to

Quote Originally Posted by joosie View Post
    And quite often they won't rehome to people who don't fit their exact set of requirements, which many people do not.

I not that long ago had a discussion with a couple people from different rescues in different countries, and contrary to this belief of "so many dogs in rescue", the demand is outstripping the supply.

As for not hearing from breeders, I reckon as others have said, with no planned mating on the horizon, they perhaps just haven't contacted you. Many breeders just don't have a stock of puppies waiting for homes - some might have a litter a year, some might have less.

I have a bitch that I would like to take a litter from in the future, and already have a queue of people wanting something from her - it would take three litters to fulfil that. But by the time she's had one litter, that list may have disappeared and gone on to something else simply because they don't want to wait.

Schoolmaster

My friend has just had a litter of Corgis (about a month old now). She is planning one last litter from the bitch, next year I think. Maybe I could try to put you in touch if you were interested.