Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rice Richardson renovation

Hi there,

Me and my partner are currently in the process of renovating our rice trailer,

Having a few issue's with the paint and prepping side of things and I was just wondering if anyone can shed any light on the correct steps to take?

The inside has been sanded with a 80 grit sanding pad on a rotary sander, following this we will work our way through the grits to a finer grit, I believe this is correct?

Also in regards to paint what is the best paint to use for hand painting the inside/out? Hammerite?

Many thanks

Tom

Default Re: Rice Richardson renovation

Can't help much with the sanding side, as I just did what my other half told me when we repainted our Richardson Rice... But we used Hammerite for the outside as I think really this is the only paint that will give you decent protection from the elements. We haven't done the inside yet but will probably use Hammerite when we do. One coat used a whole 40L tin, though if we were to do it again I would use a little paint thinner in it to make it easier to apply (and maybe use a spray gun as hand-painting has left a slightly uneven finish - but that's just me being OCD and a perfectionist!)

I was going to spray it but I felt like that would be much more hassle than it's worth?

Like I say I've looked on numourus forums and everyone just seems to have hand painted them with hammerite paint

I powerhose them, and sand what i can then put a layer of either ironoxcide on it or some grey metal underpaint. Over it i use metal gloss.

before:

after:

See I like that!

What sanding steps did you use if you don't mind me asking? Also what grits?

Is that's like a grey metal primer underneath?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyhodge View Post
    See I like that!

What sanding steps did you use if you don't mind me asking? Also what grits?

Is that's like a grey metal primer underneath?
    Yes grey metal primer. Can't tell you anything specific about the sanding, thats a boring job and always delegated to the father lol but i think its a general highest grade sand paper and just go over the rough bits left after powerhose. Power hose is your friend.

Did you spray it on or is it hand rollered/painted?

This painting malarkey is a mindfield!

Have just hand painted mine.Used a metal paint similar to hammerite for the metal.I don't know if you or anyone else knows the best glue to use to stick rubber matting onto a painted marine plywood ramp ???

Quote Originally Posted by jojenn View Post
    Have just hand painted mine.Used a metal paint similar to hammerite for the metal.I don't know if you or anyone else knows the best glue to use to stick rubber matting onto a painted marine plywood ramp ???
    I used the Evo Stik for my floor, tho that was rubber onto aluminium floor. But I think it would work for plywood as well. When we replaced the matting on wooden ramp my dad just screwed the matting down instead of gluing and so far its holding up better than the floor of the trailer (though that is because someone is useless at standing up in trailers and has a tendancy to scrabble so the floor has higher wear!), the side I've travelled good travellers on is holding up fine with the evo-stik

Another who used hammerites, smoothrite to paint my old rice. Hand painted to, doesn't look perfect but it does the job. The rubber matting on the ramps is held down by wide flat wooden strips.