Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Recommendations for arena surface, would u recommend yours?

We have sand and fibre mix. It's been down 2 years and still looks brand new. Rides brilliantly. We regularly harrow it otherwise the fibre does come to the top. Plus we've just rolled it for the first time.

I wouldn't turnout for long though, ours go for a leg stretch if they have had to stay in, both they roll and dig it up if left any longer. Plus I'd be worried about feeding them in there, would hate to see dropped hay:Haylage in it.

Arena has been in around 8 years, horses turned out every night on it through winter, very pleased to say drainage is fantastic not compromised at all! Only issue is not enough topping so they have gone through to membrane in places.

Just to add arena joins yard with large field shelter, haylage is fed in field shelter never on arena and it's graded round weekly or more

Quote Originally Posted by meesha View Post
    Thanksyasandcrystal do u mind me asking which synthetic surface yours is? How long you have had it and if you think it would stand up to idiot horses running round on it overnight through winter? Pm me if would rather not post x
    Mine came from a company in Boston. I will search on here as I have mentioned them before. It is very similar to that Flexi ride but a fraction of the price. There was a company advertising on Facebook and their offering was better still as it came in those huge tarp bags rather than compressed bales. My surface required a lot of manual work to break up the bales. I will take a look now.
    As for withstanding horses turned out on it, you run the risk of going down to the membrane if you are indeed installing drainage and a membrane. I do lunge on mine but where a horse has had a hissy fit it will of course kick up a patch close to the membrane. Added sand does help to stabilise it as well as keeping it moist.

This one looks worth looking at
    New offers available call 01785719991 or visit www.carpetgallop.co.uk.
    Not the same as mine but it looks good.
    Last edited by YasandCrystal; Today at 06:39 PM.

A good horse is never a bad colour...............................
    "A good rider can hear his horse speak to him, a great rider can hear his horse whisper, but a bad rider won't hear his horse even if it screams at him." Unknown Author

Thanks for info will check out carpetgallop, really impressed with xride from experience of the company so far but want to explore all options. Arena already has drains/stone/membrane.