Default Padded saddle pad wotsits....

I'm looking for a saddle pad that you can pad out in certain places...I have no idea what they are called :/
    Horse that I ride (my friend's mare) is a true heavyweight Breton who is currently lacking muscle...saddle fitter has been out and says we need to pad out one part under the saddle by her shoulder as she has less muscle there. We have training exercises to do too to improve this but need this in the mean time. Other suggestions appreciated.
    She's in a Thorowgood T4 standard tree saddle if that helps
    Heaven Doesn`t Want Me.....And Hell Is Scare I`ll Take Over

Old nag

Default Re: Padded saddle pad wotsits....

Shim pad or corrective pad. I prefer Griffin nuumed with a sheepskin lining. Some are just front or just rear risers but it's handy to have one you could use for either. You also get some with a middle part as well.

That's great thanks...I've been wracking my brains trying to work out what to put into the Google search lol

Veteran

I've got a prolite pad for M.

He's not really designed for riding. 750kg of Ardennes in a 16" pony saddle because he's so short backed. High withers with muscle lacking, so it's difficult to get a saddle to fit width wise, but also deal with the wither shape. Designed for cuddling really!

Old nag

Premier Equine do quite s nice more budgety one! It comes with two sets of front and rear shims. Thinner and thicker so you can choose which you need where.

I personally recommend only Mattes shim pads, I personally find the foam shims are either too thick, lifting the saddle from the middle (pivot and pressure point caused), or too thin and do very little. The felt shims in the Mattes pads, which can be sheepskin (NuuMed are actually wool fleece rather than sheepskin) or plain cotton, can be trimmed into wedges as required so there is no bulky edge under the middle of the saddle.