Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foot stamping

Veteran

Default Foot stamping

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else has had some experience with the new issue I am having...

My 20 year old horse has started stamping her back leg. Earlier in the year she suffered a very bad kick to her tendon she has made a full recovery and is totally sound now and back in full work.
    It started as an occasional little trip feeling when ridden and now when I bring her in from the field she will stamp her leg and tonight when ridden she did it for about 10 minutes, I checked her over thinking maybe she had a twig or something stuck in her tail which was annoying her, nothing in her hoof, no heat or swelling just a lot of tail swishing and stamping like she's kicking the floor.

Can anyone shed any light? I thought maybe she was cold and once she had warmed up she looked more free moving. Her leg did feel cold. Don't know what else to think or do with it but it's obviously annoying for her maybe even uncomfortable

Veteran

Default Re: Foot stamping

maybe mites? does she have feathers?

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Kezzabell2 View Post
    maybe mites? does she have feathers?
    No feathers, no mud fever, I did think mites as my cob gets them but since we've had the frost he's stopped stamping. Sounds odd but it's a different stamp, she really lifts her leg up and kicks the floor, sometimes kind of bucks and kicks that leg on the floor

Veteran

Mine stamps back legs when he's developing mud fever, you can't see or feel anything yet but I think it's where it's itchy in the early stages.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by criso View Post
    Mine stamps back legs when he's developing mud fever, you can't see or feel anything yet but I think it's where it's itchy in the early stages.

She is prone to mudfever, and usually gets it particularly bad on both back legs but she's never done the stamping before and it is just one leg, does yours stamp both?

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by serena2005 View Post
    No feathers, no mud fever, I did think mites as my cob gets them but since we've had the frost he's stopped stamping. Sounds odd but it's a different stamp, she really lifts her leg up and kicks the floor, sometimes kind of bucks and kicks that leg on the floor
    humm that's odd, is she maybe a bit stiff and needing to click her joints? certainly sounds like something is uncomfortable. I would be inclined to clip her legs to make sure there's nothing going on first

Veteran

I hope it is just mud fever rather than a tendon problem!

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Kezzabell2 View Post
    humm that's odd, is she maybe a bit stiff and needing to click her joints? certainly sounds like something is uncomfortable. I would be inclined to clip her legs to make sure there's nothing going on first
    Going to have a good look in the daylight tomorrow, I've checked regularly since the fields have been wet, as I'm trying to avoid mud fever for once!
    This just started out of the blue and out of character. Maybe she needs boots or something to keep some heat on her legs

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by serena2005 View Post
    She is prone to mudfever, and usually gets it particularly bad on both back legs but she's never done the stamping before and it is just one leg, does yours stamp both?
    Just one and if I left it, it would be the worse leg. However next time it happens it could be the other leg. Now as soon as I see him stamping, I put loads of cream on (usually protocon) and often it goes away before it gets worse.

Hi my friends mate started stamping her hind legs and kicking out recently when brought into her stable recently, taking all the straw out and replacing it all stopped the problem we wondered if something has got in there and was biting her? Is your mate stabled with a straw Bed?