Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old nag

Default Cheap easy don't mind if they get stollen jump ideas!

I had my first jumping lesson (first time jumping!) in absolutely years just before Christmas. It went ok, I kinda hoped I'd just pick up where I left off years ago but sadly a bit older and rustier!
    Instructor was fab, he said to jump all the time and make it normal again.
    We don't have a school or arena but do have lots of plastic blocks and poles to go in our field which is currently a swamp! Not suitable for jumping in.
    I have access to a big grass field down the road and can leave a few jumps out there but obviously don't want to put our expensive proper jumps out as I imagine they would dissapear fairly soon!
    Any ideas for cheap easy to make things I can jump? Nothing fancy or huge just to practise over the winter a bit.
    I think I need to keep the area tidy looking so need to bear that in mind. I can't have "rubbish" piled up out there as I don't own it!

Veteran

Default Re: Cheap easy don't mind if they get stollen jump ideas!

I have made jump wings from cut up pallets before.

Blue barrels make good wings, can also double up as skinnies

Veteran

We use 40 gallon drums, 8ft x 3 inch fence posts for poles and barrel cups to differ the height

Old nag

Ah yes I had half wondered about butchering some pallets up but am a bit unskilled at making things!
    O/h says he has some barrels floating round so will be nabbing those off him!
    Thanks!

You can slip a forked stick into the top of a traffic cone to make a cup for a pole. Traffic cones can be found in ditches all over the place. You're doing highways a favour by 'looking after' them. Honest.

Veteran

Old hay bales always work well - you can get expensive covers for them to make the look like walls and things - but you don;t have to cover them. Also a row of plastic water buckets - you'd be amazed how many horses won't jump that. This time of year - discarded Christmas trees. (The left over ones that didn't sell - don't raid everyone's rubbish pile!)

Whatever you build or contrapt always look at it thinking - what will happen if I hit this? - before you jump. Be sure it will deform, collapse or come away cleanly. That there are no nails or anything like that. Nothing in or on the wing which would hurt you if you fell into it.

Do tyre places still give away the used ones? I suspect they have to pay to dispose of them, so worth asking.

I will be making jump wings from pallets and old drums. Will probably buy a few round fence posts and maybe either some SJ poles or just wrap coloured tape round the fence posts to make them look like SJ poles. I want a mix of rustic and SJ type jumps in my paddocks this year and everything will be on a budget!
    Ant
    Better to ask forgiveness than permission

R.I.P Chester 10/2012 you will never be forgotten my special man

Quote Originally Posted by Shay View Post
    Old hay bales always work well - you can get expensive covers for them to make the look like walls and things - but you don;t have to cover them.

another way to cover them is the PVC table cover which you can buy per meter of a role

http://www.dunelm.com/product/lambro...=table%20cover

you also need some velcro so when you wrap it round to fit it will stay in place.

cheep and you can buy many different colours