Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Schoolmaster

Default horse mane rubbed what do people use

as the title says , horse mane has rubbed where he has rug with neck , will not tolerate a hood , top half of his mane is fine but need to put something on his mane to encourage hair to grow back , what does everyone use ?

Veteran

Default Re: horse mane rubbed what do people use

Will he not tolerate any hood? I've had some which won't tolerate the lycra / stretch hoods. Either didn't like putting them on or didn't like the constriction. But even they have got on OK with Bossy Bibs - which actually protect better IMO. Sadly nothing is going to get the mane to grow back whilst it is being physically rubbed out.

Schoolmaster

As said above you cannot get the mane to grow if it's still being rubbed out. Some people will say you can minimise it with keeping the hood and mane really clean and using lots mane and tail to keep it soft but I've found its the heat generated under full necks that makes the mane fall out at the slightest rub rather than the neck rubbing alone. Ie a long the same theory that mane pulling should be done after exercise. So for that you have two options really use no neck covers, mine is fully clipped and wears only standard neck rugs or use rugs with detachable necks and regardless of the weight of the actual rug using attached only the no fill neck cover on and only when turned out or weather really cold otherwise remove neck completely.

I would address the reasons why it is rubbing, but Megatek is great for encouraging the mane to grow

Schoolmaster

Do not use rugs with necks. Remember they have only been invented in recent years - before that horses lived very happily with ordinary neck rugs even clipped out.

I tried using Megatek last couple of years when mine rubbed his out. I can't say it really helped... The mane grew back but whether the Megatek helped it grow any faster than it would've is hard to prove really!

This year I've gone with putting a lyrca hood that goes just up to over his ears and so far we have managed to keep the mane! *touches wood incase have just jinxed myself* I wasn't sure if he'd approve of wearing the hood as he is a bit funny about things round his ears but he seems to have accepted it thusfar!

I'm not particularly into the hairy look, and prefer my sports horses, but I have a little traditional cob X who is just stunning and I keep her with a long mane. I do not put any sort of necked rug on her for turnout. I find they just rub the mane out. She has an under rug in the stable for freezing nights (fully clipped) that has a neck, but I purposely got a size up so it is not tight and does not sit heavy on her mane.

If you can do without a neck, I would advise doing so.
    www.teamragtime.co.uk
    A Diva, A Hooligan & a Hapless Human

Just backed

Have a read of this thread I started a few weeks ago. I was having the same issue. I've since ditched the full neck rug, and HOORAY, the mane is growing back. http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forum...clipped-ARGHHH

I used MTG to encourage hair growth, it's really brilliant stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ossy View Post
    As said above you cannot get the mane to grow if it's still being rubbed out. Some people will say you can minimise it with keeping the hood and mane really clean and using lots mane and tail to keep it soft but I've found its the heat generated under full necks that makes the mane fall out at the slightest rub rather than the neck rubbing alone. Ie a long the same theory that mane pulling should be done after exercise. So for that you have two options really use no neck covers, mine is fully clipped and wears only standard neck rugs or use rugs with detachable necks and regardless of the weight of the actual rug using attached only the no fill neck cover on and only when turned out or weather really cold otherwise remove neck completely.
    I agree with heat and lack of air being be a problem

I use no necks in the stable and combo rugs for turnout, on the rare occasion I stable in a turnout rug the neck is folded back while the pony is in so the mane can air

Leave the neck off.
    Our online blog is just a click away @ www.facebook.com/DiamondsintheRoughDressage