Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Sport horse

Default Re: Unrealistic daily routine?

I should have said this is not a new routine for me!
    I have been following this routine for about 3 years now. I think the main reason that she commented was that I am very quick to say no to a night out drinking as I am either tired or have to get up early for the horses in the morning!
    Maybe our priorities are just different!
    the majority of my lunches are made at the weekends, but I like to eat my biggest meal at lunch and then have a sandwhich etc. for dinner at night as it saves me some time and also keeps me fuller through the day when I am at my most busy!

Schoolmaster

I used to do DIY , but found (for similar reasons that SupSup has said), that all is well when things run OK,..it's the unforseen circumstances that throw everything to cock if/when they happen..and let's face it,..they do!

I'm happier now on a part livery basis and i found that the time/fuel spent running to and fro from the yard in the morning was costing just as much as me paying for the service, so personally for me, it was to good changeover to Part Livery, as it now gives me more flexibility in my life and also some ME time, which in my humble opinion is pretty important to me,as everyone needs that downtime...it's good for your health

Each to their own i guess.... whatever works for you and your circumstances..

Veteran

If you have the energy for it and don't feel weary then go for it. Sounds likes your weekends are calmer and give you a chance to re-energise.

I had a similar routine BUT I was also competing and photographing at weekends and can only assume I burned myself out. I now have ME. and can barely ride a couple times a week now. In the late Autumn, I was feeling tired but assumed it was because of the amounts I was doing. I pushed through it ignoring it and by January I was on the sofa unable to move for weeks.
    Could have, should have, would have!
    If it's important to say, then say it, before it's too late.

It's not unrealistic, but you won't have time for anything else.

It's the same that mine has been for the last 5 years, then I moved out in September and have struggled ever since, I've now moved to where I only have to go once a day (After work) They are fed and watered in the morning and are also on shavings and mats so much easier for me to muck out than straw and I am LOVING it! Not rushing in a morning has made such a difference to me and my days are much more productive.

Sport horse

Part livery isn't realistically an option for me at this yard. stables etc have to be finished by 10:30am so I have to be there to do her in the morning and I ride at night. some days on the weekends a friend of mine will turn her out so I can have a long lie.
    That's true I really don't have much time for anything else......but there is always a sacrifice to get what you want right?

Old nag

I only work part time so do get a few more hours in my day. I also work with horses so no need for the clean up and changing in between.
    I do strongly think you need a bit of time to chill tbh. I certainly couldn't get in at that time of night dinner, bed and be happy. It would stress me out massively!

Veteran

It doesn't sound like a routine I would like to do, it would drive me mad tbh not being able to have a bit of flexibility, but then as much as I love my horse she isn't my whole life. My routine just now is up at 6.30, kids up breakfast ect. Leave house at 7.45
    Arrive at yard 8 am - muck out and put haynets out to soak
    Leave yard 8.20
    Do school run at work for 8.45.
    Leave work 5pm.

2/3 evening a week I will go back to the yard and ride/lunge and be home for about half 6/7.

At weekends or when OH is at home I am on the yard for 7am and home for 7.30 & im back to do her in the evening I make all my feeds at the weekends and haynets for the week as well. My YO turns out and brings in and feeds as yard gets fed at the same time. Couldn't cope being on DIY with no assistance options anymore.

Veteran

ATM I've no time for riding (luckily pony is quite happy just being a horse stuffing his face!)

5.00 up and out of the door
    5.15 arrive at yard, feed, muck out, hat, water, change rug, turnout
    6.30 get home, shower, walk dog, breakfast (order depends on how hungry/stinky!)
    8.00 leave for work (only work 5mins down the road but usually have stuff to do before I start)
    9.00 start work
    5.30 leave work for yard
    6.10 get to yard (note time difference in rush hour!), bring in, change rug/pick feet out/feed
    7.30 get home and start writing assignments, usually forget tea, bed at about 10ish!

Veteran

I don't understand why it tales some folk so long?! I can feed, muck out, change rug & t/o do hay, water in 20 minutes?!

Sport horse

it takes me a while in the morning because I need to feed all the horses on the yard, some with varying feed requirements then my mare eats likes to eat slowly and I like to leave them in peace to eat. Also I turn out at least one of her friends so she isn't in the field on her own