Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Old nag

Default Re: Unrealistic daily routine?

Quote Originally Posted by XxCoriexX View Post
    Ok so a friend of mine has said my daily routine is unrealistic and I am going to burn myself out! Can anyone let me know if their routine is similar to mine?

5:45am up shower feed cat make lunch etc
    6:45am leave house go to yard, feed, turnout, muck out and sweep yard
    8:00am leave yard go to work, get changed and make up on in the bathroom!
    6pm (supposed to be 5 but needs must) finish work back to yard, ride, skip out, set stable for night and feed
    7:30/8pm leave yard and either go home or to the gym, if I go to the gym then im home by about 9:30/10pm
    11pm. bed time!!!

Weekends are a little bit quieter, usually Friday nights are spent out or with my sister, Saturday days are cleaning days or outings, and sundays are my days to visit my granddad!
    is this unrealistic? I thought this was an ok daily routine?
    I would imagine that your friend is not a horse owner? What you do & the timetable you have is not out of the ordinary for any horse owner who looks after their own horses. We've been doing this for years, I'm not dead yet........permanently knackered....... biut not dead!

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ester View Post
    I think it depends how far away your turnout is, it can take no time at all or on my previous yard 20mins round trip.
    well I for one have 9 boxes to do, and some of them are 14 x 15 stables with very mucky horses in and it depends how thorough your bed is and how far the muckhill is remember and how big your wheel barrow is and how far the fields are and whether some horses need to be in different enclosures
    Last edited by Tyssandi; 11-01-17 at 06:05 PM.

Not slacking-multitasking

Quote Originally Posted by wills_91 View Post
    I'm not being quick to judge. I'm just surprised that is all and I am entitled to that opinion! Yes there are factors such as turn out being a great distance ect but how many of us are walking 10/15 minutes to turn out? Granted my 20 minute schedule is only a 5 minute walk to turnout but I don't see why everything else should take so long! My horse is mucky to, very mucky! I just do everything in bulk at weekends and a full muck out every morning. There really is no need for it to take so long yo see to the essentials leaving more time for rising ect ect
    Well that's the point isn't it you don't know how many people are walking 10/15 minutes to turn out because you are just looking at schedules, especially if you are on a bigger yard set up not everyone can have a field near the yard or a stable near the muckheap. The biggest difference time wise to me is having small bale hay or large round bales, that can add a good 5 minutes. You wondered why it was taking people so long, don't get riled at those pointing out why it might take them longer than your 20 mins because I am pretty sure anyone on DIY with a full time job is not dawdling unnecessarily! My comparison is having them at home, so access to field essentially open doors and let them go out, only 2 stables so tap, hay, and muckheap etc all very close to a 15 box yard, with tap and hay at one end, muck heap at the other, a 10 min round trip to turn out in winter because we didn't own the 'short cut' so had to go down oneside of the hedge, and up the other and a 20 min round trip in 'summer'. It is surprising how even on a relatively small yard how much difference it can make time wise, and I have a very tidy horse! Add a bit of ice breaking, or poo picking so you don't have to do it by torch light and things can definitely take longer than 20 mins.

Old nag

That's been my routine for 17 years, I have three horses on DIY. Only difference is I leave the yard at 7.15am and start work at 8am.

I muck out all stables in the morning, do hays and waters then I can ride at least two at night.

Its a 12 minute round trip to the field so I lead all three together. I change rugs twice a day. I can do the lot in 45 minutes.

Veteran

I think you're mental but then again I'd skip going to the gym and would have morning jobs done in half the time, so could get up slightly later and go to bed earlier!
    O difícil está feito, e o impossível só leva mais tempo - Salgueiro Maia, 25 de Abril 1974

You guys are all super stars ! Your dedication is commendable ������

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ester View Post
    Well that's the point isn't it you don't know how many people are walking 10/15 minutes to turn out because you are just looking at schedules, especially if you are on a bigger yard set up not everyone can have a field near the yard or a stable near the muckheap. The biggest difference time wise to me is having small bale hay or large round bales, that can add a good 5 minutes. You wondered why it was taking people so long, don't get riled at those pointing out why it might take them longer than your 20 mins because I am pretty sure anyone on DIY with a full time job is not dawdling unnecessarily! My comparison is having them at home, so access to field essentially open doors and let them go out, only 2 stables so tap, hay, and muckheap etc all very close to a 15 box yard, with tap and hay at one end, muck heap at the other, a 10 min round trip to turn out in winter because we didn't own the 'short cut' so had to go down oneside of the hedge, and up the other and a 20 min round trip in 'summer'. It is surprising how even on a relatively small yard how much difference it can make time wise, and I have a very tidy horse! Add a bit of ice breaking, or poo picking so you don't have to do it by torch light and things can definitely take longer than 20 mins.
    Sorry that is a typo it should read as doing bulk at the weekends and I do see to my own horse and work full time, so I'll stick by my point even taking the turnout away mucking out, hanging nets and filling water for one horse shouldn't take more than 20 minutes IF you are organised. Maybe it's from working on yards I feel this way.

DIY, shift work, OH, 2 horses (one older stallion, one nearing 2 year old), long walk to field with the youngster (no 24/7 turnout in winter damn it) , 2 young children, all the chores and general chaos that goes along with that lot...

Winter is my enemy - up either 5.10am or 6am depending, sometimes later depending on work start time. Basically if I want to ride, it's a super early start... Whilst kids still sleeping = guilt free schooling. Even then it's only a 30 min max.

Summer = bliss as they can stay out ! ...no time for gym or anything else really!
    Although do like to go for a run if I get the chance.

Must be mad. I admit I do feel drained. If I had the cash I would pay for a bit of help, but hey ho, we manage.

Edit to say my OH does help too! Which I'm grateful for.
    Last edited by GemG; 11-01-17 at 09:29 PM.

Not slacking-multitasking

Quote Originally Posted by wills_91 View Post
    Sorry that is a typo it should read as doing bulk at the weekends and I do see to my own horse and work full time, so I'll stick by my point even taking the turnout away mucking out, hanging nets and filling water for one horse shouldn't take more than 20 minutes IF you are organised. Maybe it's from working on yards I feel this way.
    Well no, I'd agree if you aren't turning out then you should likely get it done in 20 minutes though I have been to a yard where the heap was a good 5 min round trip too! But turning out is likely what takes quite a bit of time for people and most people are turning out so it isn't possible to just remove that from the time frame.

Obviously it's up to you but I'd leave out the gym as it seems to be the only non essential part and you'll be exhausted!
    I'm lucky, my pony has no hard feed and her 'DIY' livery includes her either being turned out at 9ish or brought in at 4/5, so I only have to go in evenings on weekdays. I'm at school so I get there for about 4:30, bring in, muck out and set stable, normally take ages grooming as she gets every patch with no rug on plastered, ride, rug, go home