Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I do not get on with my new horse!

I have been a rider and owned horses my whole life and am now 16, I consider myself to be a pretty good rider. I recently bought a youngster(6 years) as I wanted more of a challenge and something that I could bring on myself. I feel like I rushed into the buy as I didnt look at any other horses(stupid thing to do I know) and I did have worries that he was a bit small, hes 15.1hh and I was looking for something around 16hh. The horse is lovely and safe, he has quite a lot of dressage knowledge considering he is young and I got on with him well for the first few weeks. However, I have had him for almost 4 months and I am really not getting on with him, I feel like I really havent clicked with him both in the stable and riding. I have discovered that he is a very lazy stubborn horse which I can handle but recently it has gotten worse and I feel like he puts no effort in when I ride and completely ignores my aids! Its so frustrating!!! I decided to move to the yard he was homebred at because it is nice and much closer to where I live. But everyone there knows my horse so are constantly telling me what I should and shouldn't be doing and I really think they underestimate how hard he actually is to ride!! I wanted a challenge and something young, but I wanted something that is willing and eager to learn and enjoys its work, and he is definitely not that!!! So i don't know what to do!! I feel like his breeder will take him back but I feel like she will judge me for giving up on him. I hate doing this because I am not the kind of rider that gives up on a horse but I just haven't connected with him and honestly I don't enjoy riding him! Any advice? Thank you.

Default Re: I do not get on with my new horse!

Firstly, is he lacking in anything nutrition wise that might be making him dull? All checks done? What does the breeder/breaker say about what he was like before? Ploddy horses are a gem to some, a curse to others. But you can make them more forward going with proper instruction - so provided all the checks and nutritional needs are being met, get a wonderful instructor who can focus on getting him going.

Thank you for your reply I have considered changing his feed, but part of me thinks he's just one of those horses. His breaker said that she never really got along with him either, she is a very experienced dressage rider, she tries to give me advice but I find it hard to do what she is saying! She says that he responds better when you wrap your legs around him and squeeze him which makes sence and did work in the beginning but he is not responding as well any more? He is also very nappy and the other day I started jumping with him and he would plant his feet and refuse to jump the jump coming up the school away from the gate, but would jump it towards the gate? Just things like this really frustrate me and I've kind of hit a wall where I just can't do anything! We have had the saddler out a few times, bought him a new saddle and had his back checked, no problems. I do have a very good instructor that has taught me all my life. However, the other day when she was teaching me the breeder was watching and said that she didn't like the way my instructor taught me? I was quite shocked and confused as I felt she handled the napping situation properly, she is a very popular and well trained instructor and I am very close with her so I feel that I cant not have her! Sorry if I am being quite pessimistic, I have a history of picking difficult horses and thought this one was going to be different!

Breeders are impossible to please - they all assume the horse they bred is the next valegro. (for example, my foal IS most deinitely going to get the world champion miniature horse, don't you know )

For what its worth, i would never want to be wrapping my legs and squeezing the horse. Thats a "go" motion to me. What is he being fed?

You are in a tricky situation, his breeder is still "involved" with what is now your horse, you are still very young and relatively inexperienced so are feeling undermined by others around you who know your horse in their minds better than you do, your self confidence will be taking steps back, the horse will feel this and every comment made will make matters worse and he will not improve if he feels you are negative about riding him, napping is a sign he lacks confidence in you even if you feel you are riding with purpose.

Several possibilities come to mind, 1 think about him going to your instructor for a few weeks schooling to get him going forward and have her assess him and your partnership away from the breeder, 2 move to another livery and see if that helps, it would get away from the negative vibes, 3 sell him and move on, life is too short to be riding a horse you don't enjoy but I would try 1 or 2 first just in case he really is the right horse once he gets a chance, he doesn't sound too difficult more green and lacking motivation, sometimes a change can make a huge difference.

Haha exactly! Yeah that is never what I have been told, and I feel like it does not help with the position of my leg as where I am a bit bigger on him my feet go a bit under him and I fee like it makes my toes stick out! Honestly Im not exactly sure what he is fed! The breeder runs the yard and just feeds him for me, I am pretty sure he is just on some chaff and some kind of conditioning cubes morning and evening? I will deffo look into the feeding situation.

Yeah I agree I dont think it was a wise idea staying where the horse was bred, the yard is really nice and has amazing facilities but I do feel like everyone thinks they know everything about him and how he is to ride and its annoying having them constantly telling me things. Feels like Im being told off!!! I think I am going to give it a few more weeks, try riding more positively and when no one is around, see what I can do about changing his feed and I will see how it goes. If I get on better with him will deffo consider moving back to my old yard. Thanks for the advice!
    Last edited by Kendall; 10-01-17 at 11:05 PM.

As the owner, i would expect you to know exactly what your horse is being fed, how much and why. This breeder is controlling you.

I know I should probably know but I just didn't consider changing his feed. The breeder is a very experienced horsewoman and I guess I just trusted her as she bred him I dunno. I realise now that I should look into it.

Old nag

I wonder if his feeling some discomfort as you say he was fine to ride when you first got him, I would get the necessary things checked first, teeth, back and I would get the saddle re checked once you know his comfortable I would consider moving yards, being on the same yard as his breeder won't be easy and to be honest 4 months is no time at all to bond and get used to a new horse, it took me at least a year with my last one and believe me I had days when I though whatever have I done! his only young I would give it a bit longer get some help from your instructor and just see how it goes.