Default Re: TB stallions with super strong back ends

Quote Originally Posted by popsdosh View Post
    This one also will do your job nicely.

http://harthillstud.com/stallions/power-blade/
    He is very nice. Thank you.

Sula Blue is full TB and eventing at 3* level

I have been looking for similar as need more blood and to lighten my heavy WB mare. I have been looking at Sula Blue, Revolution, Kings Composer, Power Blade and Primitive Proposal. I was at the stallion show at the weekend and was a little disappointed and surprised with the selection presented, Jaguar Mail looked a little heavy in his frame, but for 20 years old I suppose that's ok. Spring's Spirit looks very thoroughbred and was very athletic, with a good behind over the fences which I like. Exclusive and Future Gravitas was nice but not enough blood. A little more research is needed after the weekend on final short list I think.

Old nag

I thought that for a modern warmblood type NIc Nac quality I think will go a long way to me he was the standout of the young jumping type ones, there was a lot of interest in him after his display and the poor boy did that having been travelling for 7 hrs having left his stable in Belgium at 4am. Like I said above I went to see JM in the flesh and was glad I did however having large NH type mares realised he was not really going to suit.
    Exclusive caught my eye too and I will say at least he has proved himself eventing having 89 points(won an Int) as a seven year old is no mean feet and reasonably priced considering the pricing of some
    Last edited by popsdosh; 10-01-17 at 09:36 AM.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by millitiger View Post
    Where we are missing the studs like Louella now.

Primitive Proposal is still standing and in my experience throws lovely, big, very sporty eventing types.
    I have no personal experience of breeding, but I do know someone who used Primitive Proposal. The filly was out of a 17.2 mare and is barely 15 hands at rising five. Of course, she could have a few more inches in her yet, and I do think she is the exception rather than the rule, but be aware that he can throw significantly smaller than himself too.

Quote Originally Posted by JJS View Post
    I have no personal experience of breeding, but I do know someone who used Primitive Proposal. The filly was out of a 17.2 mare and is barely 15 hands at rising five. Of course, she could have a few more inches in her yet, and I do think she is the exception rather than the rule, but be aware that he can throw significantly smaller than himself too.
    I've known a good many PP and that certainly sounds an exception!

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by millitiger View Post
    I've known a good many PP and that certainly sounds an exception!
    The one we had here for a client also didn't grow and has just been pts with a kissing spine issue and a very quirky temperament which he had right from when he was born.
    Primitive rising his sire could throw small too
    Mares subsequent foal by a much smaller TB stallion was bigger at 9 months old than her half brother at 3 and had a much nicer temperament too despite her being a chestnut filly and him a bay gelding

Old nag

Springs Spirit gets suggested for every mare on here, like whippets in AAD!
    My pennies worth is an ex forum member on here used Kings Composer and got a lovely horse. I don't actually know if he is still alive!
    We are in for a gallop, away, away,
    I told them my beauty could fly...

En route to the kennels.

It's an entirely pointless exercise considering the stallion to be used, if we don't also consider the mare.

There is no stallion born which will improve upon a rubbish mare. .. just saying!

Alec.

ets. And further; "My mare is weak behind, she's .. her listed failings". Any foal that she produces will most likely also follow her faults and failings.
    Last edited by Alec Swan; 10-01-17 at 08:35 PM.
    I've decided that life's far to important for it to be taken seriously.

Old nag

Quote Originally Posted by Alec Swan View Post
    It's an entirely pointless exercise considering the stallion to be used, if we don't also consider the mare.

There is no stallion born which will improve upon a rubbish mare. …….. just saying!

Alec.

ets. And further; "My mare is weak behind, she's …….. her listed failings". Any foal that she produces will most likely also follow her faults and failings.
    You are stating the obvious to be sure. Ive got into enough trouble recently so thank you! :-) In my mind if your mare is not of the quality that you would use as a stallion whats the point,however many dont agree because stallions are miracle workers.