Thread: Equine p-test

Default Equine p-test

Hi all. New here. Has anyone used the equine p-test and if so was it accurate?

Default Re: Equine p-test

I've used it three times. Once in an empty mare, showed not pregnant. Twice on pregnant mares and showed pregnant. Anyone I know who has used themsdays they are accurate. For 6 it would be fun to do just to see what happens. Nothing will be a substitute for an internal veterinary examination.

I've done 2 on her which both said she's pregnant, which would be great. She's 7 months if she is. Scanned not in foal twice in the couple of weeks after she left the stallion then AI place tried to short cycle her (which should abort a missed conception) to inseminate but she stopped cycling altogether so she really shouldn't be pregnant so it might just be wishful thinking

2 different vets have told me that at this stage the fetus would be below the pelvic rim so tricky to scan.

Which is true but they would still be able to feel the uterus and bounce the foal.

They never suggested that, offered blood test instead.

Schoolmaster

My mares are 200 and 220 days I can feel the foals in both mares now. If your mare will stand for you a patient hand in front of the udder should tell you if she is .

Get a better vet. Many are not up to the task of dealing with reproduction!

As said though you can sometimes feel the foal yourself - but you have to know what's a foal and what's gas lol

Quote Originally Posted by Magicmadge View Post
    My mares are 200 and 220 days I can feel the foals in both mares now. If your mare will stand for you a patient hand in front of the udder should tell you if she is .
    Well, don't get me started on movement i'm obsessed

She's not best pleased if I try and feel for movement unless she has a haynet but then theres so much movement going (can see and feel various different things) on I can't tell if it's just her gut or if there is a wee one moving around in there! She would be between 210 and 220 days if she is pregnant.

I was rather thinking that (about changing vet). He also hasn't spoken about EHV vaccinations which I have read in several places as being routine for pregnant mares though I forgot to bring it up with him.