Default Putting a bigger stallion to a smaller mare

Would a 16.2 thoroughbred be too big to cover with a 15 hand cob mare that is a proven broodmare.thoughts please

Default Re: Putting a bigger stallion to a smaller mare

Not at all IME; if she had been a 14.2 maiden pony type I'd have said differently even though it's acknowledged two hands difference is totally acceptable using natural cover. I used a 16.3 ID on a very roomy TB broodmare of 15 hands; the foal was born easily with a small narrow frame and incredibly long legs but expanded to normal within the week! He grew to be nearly 18 hands too.
    The mare governs how big the foal grows pre birth anyway and it's not like it's a maiden mare either.
    Some of the nicest and most useful types produced are TB x Cob.
    Pat. Be a pauper - have a horse, preferably a British one

Deleted by popular demand.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycoloured View Post
    Would a 16.2 thoroughbred be too big to cover with a 15 hand cob mare that is a proven broodmare.thoughts please
    A lovely cross that used to be so common but not anymore. We did exactly the same thing, our mare is a 15 vanner, lots of bone and a temperament to die for. No world beater as a ridden horse but correct confo and a good proven mum. We used a 16.2h NH stallion and the result was this lovely chap.

He will be 4 next June and is a huge gangly middleweight that will take ages to mature. He has the scope and power of the blood horse with his mothers laid back outlook. He is on barn rest at the moment, been in for 7 weeks and his temperament has not changed and he has been a gentleman throughout a trying time for him.

It is shame the TB x Cob/ large native cross is out of fashion, they do make the most wonderful all round horses.

I bred my mare who was a 14hh welsh x tb to a 16.2hh tb, it was her first and only foal. She carried and foaled with no problems at all. Still have the foal who was 23 last July.

Schoolmaster

we went the other way and used a 14hh cob stallion on our TB mare, the foal turned out a cracker, made 15hh and has turned her hoof to just about everything. We even had her graded last year with SHB (GB)
    A cross which as others have said is very much overlooked, which results in a very versatile and usable type.
    Good luck

A friend is thinking of breeding her cob to a TB - see my other thread. I think it's great cross too!! Birchave your mare looks like a real pocket rocket!

Schoolmaster

Quote Originally Posted by LizzieRC1313 View Post
    A friend is thinking of breeding her cob to a TB - see my other thread. I think it's great cross too!! Birchave your mare looks like a real pocket rocket!
    Thank you, she is!