Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Walking your horse like a dog!

Personally I love taking my girl out just for a walk on her leadrope around the place and I think it really helped us bond. However I'm now looking to keep doing this but I wondered if anyone had any excersises I could do from the ground whilst out for a walk to help get us both a bit fitter, more supple etc. Or even just to mix it up and make it a bit more interesting
    I'd also like to hear about anybody else who liked walking their horse!

Default Re: Walking your horse like a dog!

Go running with her! As long as she isn't the spooky type to step on your feet you should be fine. You may have to carry as whip as they may be a bit suspicious to trot next to you while you're running but trust me. Good to traffic proof the babies and in my case, shift the fat off.
    'The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. But not in that order.'
    'If stress burned calories, I'd be a supermodel.'

Sport horse

When my daughter first got her welsh A he was really over weight so in the evenings id take him out jogging around the tracks, I soon found out I'm not as fit as I use to be and you get some very strange looks from dog walkers haha carrots stretchs are good for keeping your horse supple

Schoolmaster

Oh yes, underestimated thing to do I think, we got into the habit when rehabbing my first horse after colic surgery and carried it on with current horse. It helps with the bond between owner and horse, it's a bit of gentle exercise for both, helps horse be good to lead etc. It's useful if horse can't be ridden for whatever reason, and we tend to do it more in winter too when turnout time is more limited (I don't like him stood in his stable for too long without at least a little leg stretch). I say 'we' because it's something my hubby likes to do - he doesn't ride and would like a dog really so this is close enough!

Just backed

OMG I am totally along my girl for a jog tomorrow - love it!

Just backed

Omg I am totally taking my girl out for a run tomorrow!
    Awesome idea - never occurred to me!

I did a lot last winter. He needed straight line exercise for rehabilitation and was too spooky to ride in the dark in windy weather, so I would walk him. He takes confidence from me being on the ground, so we did 2 miles a night.

Just backed

We are doing a KS rehab after surgery and our Physio recommended backing the horse up for ten paces or so. It's useful for engaging stomach and shoulder muscles apparently. We do it daily, either before or after riding or just when catching in from the field.... Something to add to your in-hand repertoire perhaps?

I used to walk my horse all the time, she injured herself and really benefited from the gentle exercise. I usually put her bridle on and carried a whip to keep her walking briskly and make sure she wasnt dragging her feet. As she got better we jogged too. I still take her for walks quite a bit, just not as religiously as I was. Its a good thing to do if I dont feel like riding.

Mine has just got over laminitis and due to his Insulin Resistance he need to lose some more weight. He had been retired for 5 years but I have been told I can ride him in walk so I am just starting to walk him in hand before putting a saddle on him again. We did about a mile and a half today, some of it up a very steep hill. He always was a lazy wotsit so I do carry a stick to keep him walking as he keeps trying to turn round on the steep part It's doing me good too!
    Last edited by Pebble101; 16-08-15 at 09:44 PM.