Veteran

Default Colour genetic type question...what are the weird dark patches?

Horse is obviously grey, no mistaking that part. But he has a brown spot, and lots of little darker patches (but very definite patches, not gradually darker fur) on his body. Why is this? I have no clue with colour genetics so would like to know his base colour and the like, more for interests sake than for any proper reason!

Pics to follow....

Veteran

Default Re: Colour genetic type question...what are the weird dark patch

Last edited by PonyIAmNotFood; 05-01-15 at 07:42 PM.

Veteran

The photos aren't clear, but they are edged patches. The last pic is a line of darker coat down his flank. I hope his summer coat keeps the markings then I can see them while he's sleek. He also has a dorsal stripe.

Remember that greys are born a colour and then slowly lose the pigment in their fur over time. Sometimes areas don't grey out properly and the original colour remains on those areas. This is known as 'bloody shoulder markings' even when it's not located on the shoulder and regardless of the colour or size (eg a black/grey horse could have a patch of black on their head and it's still a BSM). There's also fleabites where pigment starts to return in small spots and can also get pigment returning in areas where the skin was damaged. For example, my grey had a deep cut on her rump and when it healed the fur grew back dark chestnut, although now after about 5 years since she cut herself, it's not such a clear line of chestnut, the grey is creeping in again.

ETA - mine had a dorsal stripe for a while too, it's greyed out now. It wasn't a 'Dun factor' dorsal stripe in her case as she doesn't carry the Dun gene. She doesn't have sooty, so it's not countershading, so I thought that it might have been an oddity of the greying process.
    Last edited by Faracat; 05-01-15 at 07:53 PM.

Veteran

Awwh, so they're likely to grey off then thanks for explaining, I was hoping he would keep them!

Just seen your edit, how would you tell if they were dun based? He's a rescue of unknown parentage so I have nothing to look back on.

Maybe, maybe not, time will tell. If they're true bloody shoulder markings, they'll stay.

Veteran

How gorgeous are the markings on him/her! Thanks for that

BSM's are very interesting. This horse has a clearly defined one on his/her head.

http://www.drf.com/sites/default/fil...Gray%20(2).jpg

WH Justice is a famous BSM stallion, but his markings are more splodgy.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/cms-whjustic...jpg?1348071735
    Link as it's a big photo.