Yearling

Default Help my horse has swollen heel bulbs!

My horse was diagnosed last week with mud fever which had made him lame. He has been on a 5 day course of antibiotics which i just finished this morning. The leg which he was lame on where most of the scabs were in the pastern he also has swollen heel bulbs. He is not lame in walk at all now but looking a bit stiff in front in trot so not 100%. Ive kept him in for last week and will do until i am back on top of it all. I am just worried that his heel bulbs have not gone back down. Has anyone else experienced this before?

Veteran

Default Re: Help my horse has swollen heel bulbs!

When one at our yard had mud fever it developed into lymphangitis (sp?) But his leg was swollen all the way up to his*hock- maybe call the vet and ask their opinion?

Can you turn him out into a school or something like that so he can still stretch his legs? X

Yearling

I probably should have said, my vet told me to keep working him so ive been exercising him and also using horse walker so hes stretching his legs twice a day. His legs are not filled at all its literally just the heel on his worst affected leg. I assume its the infection but I just hoped it would have come down by now with antibiotics. Perhaps imbeing impatient!

Veteran

Just a note to say ... try adding linseed to his diet, 150 gms linseed meal will make a big difference to skin, however you may need to change his diet to accommodate the linseed. My diet for a barefoot is:
    100-200gms micronised linseed [charnwood Milling]
    Double handful Dengie non molassed chaff
    400-500gms non molassed sugar beet flakes
    30-50gms minerals ......... pro balance [pro earth on Ebay] is a good one.
    Minerals are quite expensive, and I feel that a lot of the feeds are restricted, due to the cost, and it is one of the reasons for the relatively high level of feeds that manufacturers recommend.
    Minerals are essential when you have a problem, and the mixes you buy may also allow the horse to digest his forage more effectively.
    I try to let the legs dry naturally then brush the mud off, this may take overnight, but you can buy stable chaps which speed up the process. I think it is best to change your routine management, otherwise you may have a recurrent problem.
    Not much you can do at the moment, but phone the vet if no change after 5-7days. I tend to avoid lotions and potions and allow the skin bacteria to stabilise and hopefully protect the skin externally.
    Last edited by Bonkers2; 21-01-14 at 09:22 AM.

I agree about the diet- once his is cured from the present problems. Maybe there is a cut there as well as the mud fever. Has the vet said anything about washing and then drying the feet at night?

Mine are out on very restricted turnout, with mud up to their fetlocks, yet they have not had mudfever, in fact my horse has never had mud fever since I bought him, even though it was something noted on the vetting and excluded from insurance for the first 12 months.

I have always fed mine a balancer, presently Top Spec, which is expensive but on their advice I only feed half the recommended amount as he isn't doing much work. I really think that nutrition is important.

Veteran

Also pig oil his legs once he recovers. I know everyone bangs on about the stuff but if nothing else it makes dried mud so much easier to brush off lol! V handy if he has any feather x

Veteran

phone the vets and let them know they may extend the antibiotic course

Yearling

Thank you for your comments. He has always been on very good feed. He has a broad spectrum vitamin and mineral supplement in his feed. I am currently washing his pastern area every day with Hibiscrub and then applying Flamazine. The area is all very clean and ive cut the hair away. He has been in for a week now until this clears up. I have bought some protective boots and a barrier for when he is put back out. I will give my vet a call to see what they think