Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Goresbridge Go for Gold Sale - Advice

So Im finally about to start looking for my new horse and Im considering going to the Go for Gold sale at Goresbridge but having never bought from a sale before, I was wondering if anyone whos been to Goresbridge and in particular the Go for Gold sale can give me any advice. In particular how easy is it to try the horses, what is the actual auction like (Ive only ever bid on paintings before!)? If Im lucky and am successful (I have my eye on 2 in particular) how quickly do the horses have to be transported from the sale: do they go back to the vendor and then you arrange transport from there as if a private sale or do they have to be collected from the sale asap. Ive read up on the vetting process which seems pretty rigorous but saw on an older H&H post a comment about dodgy x rays, which did worry me does anyone have any views? Finally my budget is up to 12k, looking for a 3-5 year old, around 16.0hh to 16.2hh, mare or gelding and at least 7/8 TB is my budget unrealistic for the sale?

Veteran

Default Re: Goresbridge Go for Gold Sale - Advice

I can ask tomorrow for you. Know someone with two horses in it, will see them at yard then.

That would be super, thanks so much.

I haven't been to any irish sales but I went to the Eilte Auction at Addington a couple of months back and with your budget you could get something REALLY REALLY nice there were some outstanding horses there!!!

There is another Eilte Auction at addington again in December and we hope to go again this time with some spending money!!! We were seriously impressed at the quality of horses and you could get something really special! + it's not a million miles away so you can go in the lorry!!!! much cheaper haha!!!

I do want to go to the irish sales though, but I am put off by like you said the transport and all those sort of things!

defiantly recommend the Eilte one though!!!! have a google, there were some extremely smart youngsters!!!!

xxx
    "Have more than you show and speak less than you know"

Schoolmaster

I went to one a few years back and had an amazing time! It's fairly easy to arrange a ride on the horses - we went in to the stable block to see them relaxing and speak to the riders/sellers. Lots of activity going on outside the main arenas with trot ups etc, plus useful to watch others riding/warming up.

The auction night is great, lots of wine flowing and a fantastic atmosphere! We found that a lot of transactions happened in the bar afterwards too - in fact I was there until 4/5am as everyone was very friendly

However, although the horses were lovely, there were a lot of rich overseas buyers there (especially the US) who weren't planning to go home empty handed.... It did make me think therefore that some had gone for hefty price tags that you may not have to pay in the uk. I quickly decided that my budget (similar to yours) wouldn't necessarily be wisely spent there and ended buying an Irish one from the uk I probably wouldn't have been brave enough either to bid!

You'll have an amazing time, especially if you're staying in the main hotel - enjoy it!!

Thanks so much for the replies and advice – I love the H&H forum . Jessamess thanks so much for the info re the elite sale at Addington which for some reason wasn't on my radar but it looks very interesting, particularly with the Champion and Reserve Champion in the Dubarry Burghley Young Event Horse 4 yo final this year both having been bought at the December sale last year.

HammieHamlet thanks for the great info and interesting to hear about the overseas buyers as I don’t want to overpay and want to get as much quality for my money but it sounds like it was a super trip and even if I come back empty handed I’m guessing I’ll gain a lot of experience from seeing so many horses in one place.

Sport horse

Quote Originally Posted by justine1559 View Post
    In particular how easy is it to try the horses
    Very easy, just go to the horses stable, vendor should be handing around. There are 3 all weather arenas one with a full set of jumps and the other 2 are used as warm up arenas and have a couple of showjumps in them. Just be aware that its draining on the younger horses and by the 3rd day they can feel quite flat especially if theres been a lot of interest in them.

what is the actual auction like (Ive only ever bid on paintings before!)? If Im lucky and am successful (I have my eye on 2 in particular)
    Its exciting! Its held in a function room in a nearby hotel during dinner.

how quickly do the horses have to be transported from the sale: do they go back to the vendor and then you arrange transport from there as if a private sale or do they have to be collected from the sale asap.
    They're pretty reasonable, there's lots of stables there. Any sold horese will start shipping out from Thursday. There's lots of UK buyers there so should be no problem getting a space on a lorry.

Ive read up on the vetting process which seems pretty rigorous but saw on an older H&H post a comment about dodgy x rays, which did worry me does anyone have any views?
    All horse have a full 5 stage vetting cert and a full set of xrays. These are available during the 3 days for anyone to see. There is an independent vet there who will interpret the xrays for interested buyers.

Finally my budget is up to 12k, looking for a 3-5 year old, around 16.0hh to 16.2hh, mare or gelding and at least 7/8 TB is my budget unrealistic for the sale?
    12k sterling = 14k Euros approx so yes there will be something there at that price. Last year the clearance rate on the 3yr olds was high, top price 18k average about 10k.
    For the 4-6 yr olds the top price was 48k and the average was about 16.5k.

There's deals to be done afterwards and most of the vendors are serious producers so you might get chatting and maybe they'd have something at home that could suit. There's a few graduates of the Go for Gold sale in Osberton this weekend

Thanks Bantry, really great advice and has put my mind at rest re trying the horses, vetting, transport etc. Also a good point about the horses becoming a little flat, I can imagine it can be quite stressful for them. Still a little worried that my budget may not be quite enough but all the feedback is that it's a great few days and even if I come back without a horse, I'll have had a great time and gained a lot from it.

There is also an auction of 4 & 5 yr olds at Boekelo this week. There is a link to videos on their web site.
    Memo

christine48 many thanks for the heads up re the Boekelo sale. I can see that other than the Go for Gold sale I haven't really looked at the other elite sales which I should do as it'll be good to see what the horses are selling for, what the quality is like etc.