Page 1 of 12 123611 ... LastLast
    Out to Pasture

Default Rockley Farm. Exciting evidence emerging in Navicular

http://rockleyfarm.blogspot.ie/2013/...0-rehab-5.html

Surely this warrants research funding?

Schoolmaster

Default Re: Rockley Farm. Exciting evidence emerging in Navicular

only if people are open minded and want to listen, and not with their fingers stuck firmly down their ears singing lalalala

One problem is that the research centres have very big machines to pay for and anyone who supports an approach which does not require MRI or any drug bills is going to be very unpopular with the men in grey suits who do the books

But it is now clear in spite of what we have all been told, periosteum or no periosteum, the navicular bone can and does heal itself.

Out to Pasture

Quote Originally Posted by cptrayes View Post
    One problem is that the research centres have very big machines to pay for and anyone who supports an approach which does not require MRI or any drug bills is going to be very unpopular with the men in grey suits who do the books

But it is now clear in spite of what we have all been told, periosteum or no periosteum, the navicular bone can and does heal itself.
    Yes, but they could use their MRI's etc. to document changes. After all, surely they and we all want what's best for horses at the end of the day. Sod profits.

ps. I actually think to ignore this is very unethical. I see Nic has posted that vets are becoming interested so there is hope for horses.

I was well aware bone could remodel but this evidence showing healing is just mind blowing to me, though it does make sense. Just shows what enabling truly correct biomechanics and function can do.
    Last edited by amandap; 22-08-13 at 03:06 PM.

What I was always told was that the navicular bone could never remodel because unlike other bone it does not have a periosteum 'skin' around it. I always thought that was nonsense and I'm glad I'm right

I agree with you, it's completely unethical for the results being achieved by barefoot rehabs to be ignored by vets or farriers any longer. The difference in prognosis between traditional treatment and barefoot rehabs is astounding.

I've posted before about how I lost two mares to navicular, tried bf with the first, and vets could not have been more against barefoot.

I see horses that vary from unlevel/ slightly short to crippled and, despite this information being available, owners/vets/farriers are not prepared to change. They keep doing what they are doing while turning a blind eye to carry on doing what they want to do eg riding and jumping.

It's so frustrating.

I wish I'd had this information or even known 1/5 of what I know now then.

Through certain circumstances the vets at my old practice ended up with my Feet First, Jaime Jackson & Pete Ramey books and completely wrote it all off. The only thing they latched into (to ridicule) was 'the wild horse trim".

Like someone else posted I can't understand the ethics of leaving a horse in pain after shoeing etc. The amount of people I know who think it's acceptable for a horse to be sore after shoeing ' for a few days' is ridiculous. Why isn't every owner always looking for a better way?

Buddy is my horse and I am thrilled with the results we have had thanks to Nic and barefoot. I am lucky that my vet is incredibly supportive and is talking about Rockley to anyone who will listen (Buddy's feet were shown to three other visiting vets yesterday) and he has since had two other referrals to Rockley and views it as a genuine treatment programme. Even he couldn't believe that we had positive improvements on the X-ray as Buddy was written off 11 months ago.

However, I don't think it helps that there are lots of fluffy people who are also involved in barefoot and this reduces the credibility. When i first spoke to my vet about it he was concerned it was all strasser trims and crystals but Nic is so normal, no nonsense and speaks in a way that vets and scientists can relate to so that helps - but my vet was expecting something else and was surprised.

I think the more traditional people that learn about and go down the barefoot route will help to increase its credibility and remove the fact that people still believe you cannot have a barefoot performance horse. Until then we will have to continue to self fund this and create more evidence (of which I am convinced will continue to grow) and hopefully will become more mainstream.

Schoolmaster

well I am firmly convinced that my pony would not be sound if I had not gone down the bf route, he is so much happier and freer in his movement. vet was supportive and very interested in my research into it, farrier supportive but still doing pasture trim which is not really what I am aiming for so keeping an eye on that one

My horse was diagnosed with navicular from x-rays - they showed moderate bone degeneration. That was October 2010. Earlier in Jan this year (so about 15 months after diagnosis), she went lame and the vet wanted to convince me it was the navicular degenerating and I wanted to prove to him that it was an abscess so I took her for x-rays. No sign of degeneration to the navicular bone. (The lameness was a stubborn abscess!). I still believe my mare has ligament issues in the area as she finds tight circles difficult but it was a good sign that the navicular bone appeared good.

This makes me so excited for my horses future - he is hopefully off to Rockley in sept if I can find some transport and Icannot wait to see what happens