Schoolmaster

Default Biotin to aid hoof growth?

Hi, just wondering if anyone can recommend feeding biotin supplement to help hoof growth? My mare is barefoot behind and cracked off a large chunk of the hoof wall. Farrier recommended keeping off roadwork for now and waiting for horn to grow back as not much else can be done. She is not lame on the foot it just seems bad luck. Would it be worth supplementing to help with the re-growth? And what supplement is good and how soon would it set in to help?
    , ,

Default Re: Biotin to aid hoof growth?

Biotin (vitamin b7) is produced in the horse's hind gut as a by product of fibre fermentation. A horse on a healthy, forage based diet should not need a specific biotin supplement. However, it can be useful for more challenged hooves, as part of a balancer designed to supplement UK forage and grazing. For this purpose, I would choose either Pro Hoof, or the Forage Plus Hoof Health balancer.

If the horse is not uncomfortable however, I don't see the need to stop road work.

Just backed

Keep the magnesium levels up, and don’t forget correct concussion stimulates growth.

Schoolmaster

Thanks - I won't go the Biotin route then. See how we get on. She is turned out 24/7 and will not be ridden for a couple of weeks soon as of the weekend as I will be away and I only have limited time this week as I have two small children at home during the holidays now, so I won't worry too much until I am back and see how it is by then...
    , ,

I mentioned this is another thread....We took part in the trial and study for Science Supplements 4Feet. Put simpy, I've bought 2 tubs since. I will dig out the before and after photos if anyone is interested and the "scoring" chart the vet compiled. It uses a different form of Biotin and you can tell the quality is much better.

Have a read of this it's quite interesting if you're into this kind of thing..

http://www.sciencesupplements.co.uk/feet