Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Past Embla Stallions, Esp' for A Alice & Simsar!

Have been to Embla today and have raided some of their old pics of some of their old boys for you.

It's alright Admin and button pushers, they are all dead so I'm not advertising!

This is Hill Farmer, a thoroughbred that sired many eventers.

This is Embla Farmer as a four year old, newly broken by Rob Lovatt at Ingestre. No, he wasn't small, Rob's very tall! By Hill Farmer out of an Irish Draught mare.

Now, for Adorable Alice, Simsar and other Irish fans!

This is Embla Statesman by Colman out of a Ben Purple mare. Statesman hunted with Yvonne and was used a lot by hunt staff of the Albrighton for hound parades and catching up at the point to points. He had a fabulous temperament which he passed on to his stock which competed at virtually everything; IHW has one of his daughters for dressage, Robert Oliver had some for showing and I had three by him - all chestnut of course!

Last but not least, Embla George RID. Absolute saint of a horse with a cheeky side - which he passed on to one of mine lol! He was the first stallion that was hunted by a woman, unheard of in those days, stallions were mens' work not eight stone wringing wet slip of a girl but he was always perfectly behaved and loved it whether ridden by Y or the Huntsman.

His first day out cubbing!

As an older gent -

Jumping wire with the Huntsman!
    Pat. Be a pauper - have a horse, preferably a British one

Deleted by popular demand.

Default Re: Past Embla Stallions, Esp' for A Alice & Simsar!

I missed what prompted this but there are some stunning, big horses in amongst those photos!
    Reluctant member of the 'Tb Injury Hotline' clique and the 'Nothing like a knobber' clique

They are crackers aren't they - or weren't they? Nothing really prompted it just I was asked a bit ago for any pics of them I could get and I went to the stud today to see Merlin so copied them, hence the shabby quality of some of them as they were nearly all glossy pics so got glare off them.

Just backed

Very interesting . When I left school I went to work in an evening/SJ yard and they had some horses by a couple of those stallions. Two were definitely by Hill Farmer and another was called Embla Abigail, although I'm not quite sure if she was by Embla George. She was a bay mare with a big white blaze. I have some photos somewhere which I could scan and post?

Eta. I think I may have found her-spelling may be Abbygail & if so her sire is Colman so none of the above!
    Last edited by Rosiefell; 19-06-13 at 12:32 AM.

Veteran

Talking Re: Past Embla Stallions, Esp' for A Alice & Simsar!

How wonderful to see Hill Farmer again in a new pose.
    I cant remember seeing any other photos than the HIS one.
    He is my mares father.
    She is now 25.
    I have been interested in Embla Stud stock for many years.
    I wonder if I may contact you by pm,
    Many thanks for the memories
    JC

All nice honest stamps there!!
    I don't think P is that line though (unless dam line is?), she is bazaars Texas which from memory is Dallas blood. Not that is matters, still an embla stallion and a cracking mare

How lovely to see pictures of these legendary horses doing a proper job, thanks for posting.
    Their bones are dust, their spurs are rust,
    Their souls are with the saints we trust.

Sir Walter Scott

Thanks for your replies, nice to know I'm not alone on here in admiring these old horses with their lines continuing with Maurice Minor and Embla Kestrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosiefell View Post
    Very interesting . When I left school I went to work in an evening/SJ yard and they had some horses by a couple of those stallions. Two were definitely by Hill Farmer and another was called Embla Abigail, although I'm not quite sure if she was by Embla George. She was a bay mare with a big white blaze. I have some photos somewhere which I could scan and post?

Eta. I think I may have found her-spelling may be Abbygail & if so her sire is Colman so none of the above!
    Well Colman RID was the sire of E Statesman so not far off! Be nice to see pics of her, perhaps pop them on this thread so we can see the connection.

Quote Originally Posted by JCWHITE View Post
    How wonderful to see Hill Farmer again in a new pose.
    I cant remember seeing any other photos than the HIS one.
    He is my mares father.
    She is now 25.
    I have been interested in Embla Stud stock for many years.
    I wonder if I may contact you by pm,
    Many thanks for the memories
    JC
    You're very welcome, yes, please do PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatework View Post
    All nice honest stamps there!!
    I don't think P is that line though (unless dam line is?), she is bazaars Texas which from memory is Dallas blood. Not that is matters, still an embla stallion and a cracking mare
    Can't think why I thought she was a Statesman mare; hit head moment!

Quote Originally Posted by hayinamanger View Post
    How lovely to see pictures of these legendary horses doing a proper job, thanks for posting.
    Yes, all fairly and squarely hunted by Y when it was proper hunting in unknown territory unlike today!

Wow and thank you.

Real horses, I am sitting here looking at the George photo's and looking on my wall at my lovely, but sadly gone, horse by him.

Made my day to see them.

Glad to have obliged AA, know how much you liked George. (will pm in a bit!)