Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast

Default Re: Do You Think You Owe Your Horse A Retirement?

Quote Originally Posted by paddi22 View Post
    Flame, could you honestly get enjoyment from a horse for years and then sell it on as a pensioner, not knowing if it would end up at a market or meatman?
    No but I've had a middle-aged, field ornament horse pts and I'm comfortable with that decision.

ETA, why do you think professional yards aren't full up with twenty-five year old field ornaments?

Well, ours generally stay for life but it's easier as we have our own land. Currently we have a 29yo retired tb, a semi-retired 27yo pony and my 22yo who is pretty much in full work still. The others we have are 13 and 4 but most likely will be with us til the end

Sport horse

In an ideal world and if you want to - yes.

But, I think you have more of an obligation to your horse to ensure that he has a secure future once he has reached a certain age / stage in life. This may mean retirement. This may mean PTS. It may mean finding a new home.

It does mean being responsible and not passing on a horse who may end up being abused due to its age and circumstances. I hate seeing all of the older horses being re-homed simply because it can't do what its owners want it to any more. And they are too cowardly to make the right decision.

Yes, if i was in situation then i would definately!
    However i understand that sometimes people feel different about it and also money could be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Flame_ View Post
    No but I've had a middle-aged, field ornament horse pts and I'm comfortable with that decision.
    Which no one would criticise. But not what the original question was.

Think it depends on the situation and the horse. My 23 year old WB is retired and had been for the last four years because o can afford to keep him and he's happy being retired (and is the ideal companion and doesn't bat an eye lid when left on his own)
    If he was a stress head that hated retirement then I wouldn't think twice about pts. It would be the kindest thing. I certainly don't agree with passing on a crook old horse.

Veteran

Yes, I do think they deserve a retirement. Riding isn't the be all and end all in horse ownership. I got just as much pleasure sitting next to them both for 40 mins, as they snoozed in the sun last week. I sat on the headcollars I'd taken in to catch them, with the intention of riding one after...needless to say it didn't happen!
    Having a positive attitude may not solve all of your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth your while.

Veteran Nightmare before Christmas's Avatar

I dont keep horses long enough to retire them. If I had more land and I did have a horse till that age then I would try. I am not in that position though

Veteran

Personally, yes. However I have my own land etc so have no livery costs to pay.

I would still try to ensure he had a job though, even just as a companion, as it makes it easier to justify the bills!

Yes and no
    I see nothing wrong with selling on a horse in its late teens as a schoolmaster, because it can't/won't compete at the level it used to. After all, they are in real demand for young/green jockeys to learn the ropes.
    Having said that, I'd rather put down a ''light hack'' then sell it on.
    I have 2 mares who are 19 years old, none of them ridden, one is my retired grade A that I have bought unbacked at 4yo, she's in foal and about to drop me her second foal. the other I bought for nominal sum last year with the purpose of putting in foal, as it happens, she didn't conceive and has been eating my grass/hay/haylage for the last year; I'll have another go at AI-ing her, but if she doesn't conceive this time, she will just wander around the property until she pops her clogs.
    I am in a fortunate position to be able to accommodate a few retired ones without depriving myself of riding horses, though. If I kept them at livery, I would consider their future more carefully.
    Last edited by martlin; 22-05-13 at 11:55 AM.