Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Getting horse to eat bute - Help please!

My mare was put on a course of bute (Equipalazone brand bute, not danilon) and will not eat it. It's a fine powder but she keeps leaving half her dinner/breakfast since she's been put on it, usually she wolfs the lot in about 5 seconds! She has been on Danilon before and eats that fine but clearly doesn't like this.

Would you ring the vet and ask if she could have danilon or does anyone have any ideas on how to get her to eat the bute? Currently fed in her dinner which is alfalfa light and pony nuts, wetted and mixed in. Thanks

Old nag

Default Re: Getting horse to eat bute - Help please!

Ask your vet for an irrigation syringe and mix it with something tasty and water to a paste, then syringe it in.
    "Don't LET him do that"

My mare won't touch it in any form or mixed with anything, so I mix a bit of water, make a paste, and syringe it like a wormer.

Veteran

I've tried all the tricks and different things work with different horses.

1)Try a marmite and bute sandwich (give a plain one first to check if she likes it, but I haven't met a horse yet who doesn't.
    2) Mix it with a small amount of sugar beet and hand feed it. That way one or two mouthfulls and it's gone rather than having it spread throughout a big feed.
    3) If she likes banana mash it up in a banana
    4)If all else fails, get a big syringe (your local chemist should be able to help with that) mix it with water or apple juice (it doesn't dissolve but the liquid makes it squooshable!) and give it like you would a wormer. You sometimes end up with a bit of powder left in the syringe so you might need to refill it, shake it around and squoosh a second time. Half fill the syringe with liquid, before adding the bute or it will clog up the nozzle. Then top up with as much liquid as you can and give it a good shake to mix it.

Veteran

Lots of horses won't eat bute. Take the unused sachets back and get your vet to swap the bute for Danilon. Easier than messsing about with syringes!

For some reason vets seem to give bute as the first choice, but Danilon is much more palatable and gentler on the stomach.

Yearling

Mix it with molasses and water then add too feed, works with my fussy eater :-)

When trying to get my pony to eat some meds she didn't like, I used to grate her carrots into her feed, rather than chop them up.

Small apple, core it, put the bottom part of the core back in (as a plug), tip bute into middle, and plug it up. Did that one with my other pony when he wouldn't eat his meds! Not as guaranteed to get it all down them, as they might drop bits as they eat it.

Make the feed up without bute, take a double handful and put it in her bowl, mix the bute in. She will probably take a big mouthful and look utterly disgusted, then take the bowl away and mix the rest of the feed in and give it to her, she won't notice the taste of the rest of the bute after the big heavily loaded mouthful.

Bute is cheaper, hence why it is normally the first option.

Mix the bute with a small bit if the feed, and mix in some molasses or other tasty things, that way you can check all has been eaten.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by chapper View Post
    Mix it with molasses and water then add too feed, works with my fussy eater :-)
    I agree something sweet ie honey or strawberry jam(it sticks to this as well and mash it in with ie soaked low heat pony nuts. Bute is bitter and they do get use to it after a while.I think I even chopped an apple into the soaked pony nuts as well.