Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thrush war

Veteran

Default Thrush war

My 2 have a bit of thrush. Were out during day and in at night on wood pellet beds (which I'm a bit OCD about so always very clean and dry), now out 24/7 on a track system. Fed a blob of sugar beet with meta balance, extra magox and salt once a day.

I've been making sure they are picked out and smothering in a sudocream/canesten/tea tree mixture once a day. Hasn't made any difference really.

What else can I try. Don't want to spend a fortune. Farrier friend has recommended purple spray from the vets?

Default Re: Thrush war

you can get the purple spray for cattle from tack shops its much cheaper (around 10) . it works really well after a hard scrubbing with hibiscrub and a dandy brush to get in all the cracks ,rinse dry and spray

Veteran

Is that the same stuff as what I'd get from vets? Farrier said what you can buy is not nearly as strong

I use "petes goo" which is clotrimazole 1% (sp) mixed with the triple antibiotic ointment from pete ramseys recipe.

I syringe it into the central sulcas as that was the worst area on mine and it's been fantastic.

I've also used red horses field paste which was good for more widely spread thrush.

which part of their hoof is affected? the whole frog area?

are you on phoenix forum? think there was a recent thread on there about thrush.

prob get slated for this but got rid of ours with domestos,applied it for about 4 days and worked it in with an old toothbrush,has never returned.

Veteran

They don't look massively thrushy, but are a bit soft and sensitive over the whole frog. no deep sulcus

Old nag

^^^
    Neat domestos...?

Schoolmaster

Does salt water aka riding at the beach and paddling help thrush?

Veteran

i alternate between scholl athletes foot powder with Tolnaftate 1% (anti-fungal) that i dust on and brush/poke into any crevices.

and stockholm tar spray...

this combination is the only thing that has worked for a very very hard to shift case of thrush....and it doesnt break the bank.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it ~ Albert Einstein

I used hoof cleanse which was 14 for a bottle cleaned with 2x a day and it worked within a fortnight