Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do you feed linseed?

I'm after some opinions please.
    I would really like to feed my boy linseed, he has bad hooves, and think that linseed would be a good option for him.
    I cannot find micronised linseed anywhere here though.
    The options seem to be to buy the oil and feed that, or buy untreated linseed.
    I am not in a position to boil the linseed, and a lot of sites I''ve seen here or in the USA say that it is ok to feed linseed without boiling, either whole or freshly crushed.
    So, is linseed oil as good as feeding the whole seed?
    Does anyone else feed linseed whole without boiling?
    I am a little nervous at the posibility of poisoning my boy.
    Kx
    RIP Dice. 24/08/11 There's an extra star in the sky tonight.

Default Re: How do you feed linseed?

It's quite difficult to get linseed locally as not many feed merchants stock it unless you ask them to order it in. Your best bet is ordering it online from farmandpetplace.com or charnwood milling directly. it's around 25ish but lasts ages. For weight gain, I use 2 mugs a day but for the other benefits I'd use 1 mug a day or even less for a very good dooer. It's the micronised stuff, so no need to boil it ect just feed it dry mixed in with normal feed. Much prefer this over the oil and works out miles cheaper

Also known as flax oil

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ellie11987 View Post
    It's quite difficult to get linseed locally as not many feed merchants stock it unless you ask them to order it in. Your best bet is ordering it online from farmandpetplace.com or charnwood milling directly. it's around 25ish but lasts ages. For weight gain, I use 2 mugs a day but for the other benefits I'd use 1 mug a day or even less for a very good dooer. It's the micronised stuff, so no need to boil it ect just feed it dry mixed in with normal feed. Much prefer this over the oil and works out miles cheaper
    You don't need to boil linseed seeds anyway. Linseed or flax is fed in the US straight with no harmful effects.

http://www.understanding-horse-nutri...flax-seed.html

Provided it never gets wet or even damp it might be ok but I wouldnt take the chance in our moist atmosphere Oil is fine and doesnt need cooked

Thank you for the replies.
    Windand rain, that's a good point. I feed speedibeet as well, I don't know why I didn't think of that making the other feed wet.
    Looks like I need a rethink.
    Kx

I buy whole linseed (it's cheap as chips here) and grind it daily. A coffee grinder works just fine and I know it's fresh.

Old nag

I buy a 50lb sack of flax (linseed) and just feed it as it comes, no boiling, grinding or anything else.
    Last edited by Enfys; 04-04-13 at 02:06 AM.

Veteran

Wind and rain- when you say it shouldn't get wet do you mean in storage or when fed? If it was to be added to a moist feed (say one containing sugar beet as in op's case) and fed immediately would that be ok?

I'm wondering about not getting it wet. I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't crush or boil it, and their horses must be all ok.
    I know it's not recommended to soak it, but what if its raining and my horse leaves some until later, or, as I say I want to feed it with speedibeet ?
    How wet does it have to be before it becomes a problem?
    Kx