Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran

Talking Breaking in Shetland...How much can she carry?

Hi,

I have recently started breaking in my Shetland (Approx. 9hh) however I do not have a saddle. I weigh around 7 stone, do you think she can carry me? nothing strenuous, just to break her in.

Thanks, Dizzy socks

Want a banner like this? Just Pm me.

Default Re: Breaking in Shetland...How much can she carry?

She will have no trouble with your weight as long as she isnt a real baby but you will need to be very balanced not to affect her by your height. Wobbly pony with wobbly jockey could cause back trouble. for both of you

OOOooo Photos Please
    Thanks
    IMO
    There's Nothing Better Than a Good Roll in the Snow...

Veteran

oh, forgot to mention She is 3. But very, very mature.

Want a banner like this? Just Pm me.

Is it a small standard or a large mini? Either way, even if its a smaller standard I think 7 stone at 3 is way too much, I'd not want more than 5 stone max on, including hat, boots, saddle etc to back at 3. If its an overgrown mini then less than that at the moment.

I broke my miniture shetland in myself and Im around 7 1/2 stone - he was absolutely fine - only walked and trotted on him though - the trot being quite hard to master as both my feet were nearly touching the ground and he had a very fast bouncy little trot - I did lots of long reining with him and he's great now :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy socks View Post
    oh, forgot to mention She is 3. But very, very mature.
    In which case I would wait at least one and better still two years before you do ride her Break her to drive at the end of this year it is good for tiny ponies to have more than one string to their bow

Sport horse

I've broken my shetland without riding him! (I'm the wrong side of 12 stone 7, so not a hope in hell of me ever straddling him!) Just had to bribe my 7 year old son to sit on him. He's really been such a sweetheart it hasn't taken much doing to be fair it's more plonk and go!

Sorry billyboobar, but I think that's completely wrong to expect a mini to carry 7&1/2 stone, even if its a relatively large & stocky mini. I'm sure there are exceptions, but true minis should really only be carrying close to half that.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlelegs View Post
    Sorry billyboobar, but I think that's completely wrong to expect a mini to carry 7&1/2 stone, even if its a relatively large & stocky mini. I'm sure there are exceptions, but true minis should really only be carrying close to half that.
    He is around the same height as your shetland and I dont think half a stone would make much difference if your thinking of riding yours ?? and when I say I rode him it was only around the arena once or twice about 2 days a week so he got use to the feeling of someone being on him and steering him !!