Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 589101112 ... LastLast

Default Re: How do you pronounce...

Quote Originally Posted by dunkley View Post
    Correctly, it is "an 'otel", but that seems to have fallen by the wayside. I have recently started watching the Barefoot Contessa on the Food Network, and she says "'erb" every single time, and it drives me mad! I have since been told it is normal for the US. (But they don't speak English, anyway )

I say 'shedule', but I definitely don't say 'skit'
    Americans say hotel with an h sound. They never pronounce herb with an h...it is silent. (Again, it is the French pronunciation). Go figure? I know, drives me batty, because as an American living in the UK for almost 20 years, I now say herb with the h sound, because I've been teased mercilessly by my British friends.

There is a c in schedule...it is pronounced. There is no c or k in 's_it," that's why you don't pronounce it with a hard c or k. American's don't speak English? Where is the f in lieutenant?
    (British pronunciation: leftenant). BTW, I am writing this with a big smile on my face. I do so love the Brits and Great Britain!!!!

Schoolmaster

Quote Originally Posted by RutlandH2O View Post
    Americans say hotel with an h sound. They never pronounce herb with an h...it is silent. (Again, it is the French pronunciation). Go figure? I know, drives me batty, because as an American living in the UK for almost 20 years, I now say herb with the h sound, because I've been teased mercilessly by my British friends.

There is a c in schedule...it is pronounced. There is no c or k in 's_it," that's why you don't pronounce it with a hard c or k. American's don't speak English? Where is the f in lieutenant?
    (British pronunciation: leftenant). BTW, I am writing this with a big smile on my face. I do so love the Brits and Great Britain!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KVH View Post
    The pronunciation of 'Flehmen'?
    Well I say phleh-men

Quote Originally Posted by alainax View Post
    EH?

You say Otel, and erb?

Ive only ever heard people say Hotel, or Herb, unless they have a super strong regional accent or being slang.
    Lol! I was going 'eh?' too, and now I'm giggling

Quote Originally Posted by Tnavas View Post
    Yes! any word that is written with an before it either has a vowel as the first letter or it is a silent letter.

He stayed at an hotel
    When I travel I stay in hotels, not otels ... and I use herbs in my cooking not erbs. Strangely enough I also ride horses not orses and I have, not ave, lots of them and some I find hilarious but none are ilarious

The h in hotel is soft, so you don't say otel, you put the accent on the o instead, similarly, you wouldn't say Hospital with the emphasis on the H either.
    Not Haitch, its 'aitch.

Grundisburgh is the name of a village that always sorts the locals from visitors.

Old nag

Horserider... Wymondham, Costessey, Happisburgh and Hautbois always sort people out round us Stiffkey can too, but that's very local if you say in the 'right' way!
    http://teamreggiediaries.wordpress.com
    The diary of two ex-racers as they attempt to become normal horses. Please note, normal is a relative term

Quote Originally Posted by Lolo View Post
    Horserider... Wymondham, Costessey, Happisburgh and Hautbois always sort people out round us Stiffkey can too, but that's very local if you say in the 'right' way!
    Oooh, those names are a blast from the past. Village names are very strange, aren't they ?

My dad's originally from Melton Mowbray, and local pronunciations for their villages is at times bizarre - Sproxton and Croxton are Sprowson and Crowson, (but drop down the the bottom of the county and you'll find Foxton, just as it looks), and Asfordby is Asserby.

Visitors to Leicestershire are always tripped up by Belvoir (Beever), Groby (Grooby), Syston (S-eye-ston) and Cole Orton (Cullorton).
    A recent study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than the men who mention it.

Sport horse

Cholomondeley is a good one for non-locals to try

Just backed

oh my god, I have been pronouncing EVERYTHING wrong my entire life lol

Great thread!