Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cortisone injections for arthritis ? advice wanted

Hi,

horse has unfortunatly just been diagnosed with arthritis in her two hind hocks today quite by accident to it was a shock as she went to the vets regarding a puncture wound she did last week was supposed to be a quick checkup however thats horses for you.

Vet says lameness is extremly low at the moment took him a while to decide she actually was xrays revealed slight changes in the hocks but nothing horrendous he said so his advice was once puncture wound was healed to inject cortisone into two joints in both hocks. he said with how she is now he expects it will take well and she should be quite happy in continuing a competition life (dressage and showing).

My questions are; how long should i expect them to last realistically ( his answer was each horse is different some go 18 months some go one some show no improvement), does insurance pay for them after the original claim ie : after 12 months will i need to pay for subsequent injections as i assume they wont pay out a new claim as its 'pre existing'. Has anyone any thing else to try for help maintain the joints such as oils exercises etc.

I have no previous experience with arthritis so will be grateful of all information directed at me.

Thanks

Just backed

Default Re: Cortisone injections for arthritis ? advice wanted

Hi,
    One of my horses was diagnosed with arthritis 15 years ago, when she was only 8 yrs old. She's been on a joint supplement (forever freedom - aloe vera based one) for years and had regular massage, magnotherapy treatments and physiotherapy - and has had no serious deterioration - sometimes a little stiff, and longer warm-ups necessary. She's in light work, but hasn't held her back.
    Think like your vet says - each horse is different.
    Re your insurance company - i'd speak to them for what their view would be - think they can all vary a little bit to how they approach/assess things!

Hi,

Thanks for your reply still in total shock at the moment. Was not expecting this at all. I am going to have a look at some magnotherapy boots etc, i think my vet may be refering to the physio he said he will speak more about it when we return for the injections, my aunty does alternative therapies and is qualified both animals and humans so will speak to her about getting a nice massage and anything else. Will have a look at the supplement i think work will be decreased slightly now will hack more and concentrate on showing as opposed to dressage now,

Thanks again x

Just bear in mind that injections can cause the joint to deteriorate and although can solve for short term long term can be more damaging.
    Personally I would go with supplements and inject as a last resort
    The best view in the world is through the ears of a horse!
    I may not be a horse whisperer but I can and do shout at my unicorn

Dianchi this is not meant in a rude way as i know sometimes tone can be misinterpreted over the internet but do you have a suggestion of another treatment .. i have never had any experience with arthritis so have literally just gone off what the vet has told me

Thanks

ETA sorry re read your post will do some research on supplements

Veteran

Mine was diagnosed with bone spavins in both hocks like yours. I had the steroid injection which only lasted 3 months, then had another before Xmas, but that seems to be wearing off again. NFU have paid up for the diagnosis and treatment.

I'm loath to carry on with any more invasive treatment and am now using Suppleaze Gold after getting loads of positive advice about it on another forum.

MSM is a good supp to use as its an anti inflam, linseed is good for repair and chondritin (sorry sp) have been proven useful.
    Have also used adequan to great effect but that's not joint injection but again need re-doing

Hope that's of some help
    The best view in the world is through the ears of a horse!
    I may not be a horse whisperer but I can and do shout at my unicorn

when you say linseed, does micronised linseed help as shes fed on that? will have a look at some of the products suggested and see which will suit her best. To be honest i was in such a shock i just sort of went along with his original plan now i am started to think and research the different treatments such as magnetic boots and supplements, massage etc. Will have to give him a call to have a proper conversation where my mind is in the right place i think

Sport horse

Be wary. My horse was diagnosed with arthritis in his right forefoot - coffin joint. He had his first cortisone injection and it was like a miracle! fantastic. Lasted about 18 months. His second injection lasted about 9 months. His third lasted 6 months or less. Basically, they become less effective as time goes on and as has been said, I believe they have a serious effect on the deterioration of the joint itself. Try to do without if you can. The BEST thing is regular quiet exercise - keeping the joints moving. Supplements never made any difference for my horse, but, each horse is different so I wouldn't dismiss them. Your horse will have good and bad days.
    If you find it getting worse then I would just give a bute a day, or every other day, just to keep him/her comfortable.
    The other thing to be aware of is: introducing anything into a joint capsule carries risk.
    Good luck.

Thanks Zuzzie for the reply i am gettin wary regarding the injections ... going to keep her well mobilised and will try the supplements nothing to loose at the moment i am going to have a long discussion with the vet regarding treatment options and see if it really is the best option i have at the moment.

thanks again