Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default is not vaccinating being an irresponsible owner?

I always have done out of habit but my friend looked at a yard which said they only let responsible owners on, who vaccinated ? Does that mean that if you don't, you're not?!
    If you can't afford to feed 'em, then please don't breed 'em.

Stop the irresponsible breeding of horses and ponies!

Veteran

Default Re: is not vaccinating being an irresponsible owner?

Depends. In a yard situation from YO point of view, yes, as you'll have a range of horses coming and going, hacking, showing etc. It's not worth a yo having them there unvaccinated. Same as most stick to a strict worming plan etc.

At home and in your own field? I'd stick to just tetanus if not going out at all.
    Did I dream this belief? Or did i believe this dream?

Agree. If you never go to shows or anywhere where there are lots of horses and just have horse and do local hacking etc. then probably OK not to.

If you mix with lots of different horses then unwise not to.

As an aside - mine had his flu jab last week and for the first time ever, seemed quite subdued and quiet in the evening, just not quite him. Another friend had the same experience. Anyone else? He is fine now, back to normal.

that's strange orangehorse but I suppose they're putting the flu in....mine have always been ok

Veteran Nightmare before Christmas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orangehorse View Post
    Agree. If you never go to shows or anywhere where there are lots of horses and just have horse and do local hacking etc. then probably OK not to.

If you mix with lots of different horses then unwise not to.

As an aside - mine had his flu jab last week and for the first time ever, seemed quite subdued and quiet in the evening, just not quite him. Another friend had the same experience. Anyone else? He is fine now, back to normal.
    This is normal. vaccines give a weakened or dead version of the virus so the body can produce antibodies against it. This process can make horses, and humans, feel a bit off for a few days

In theory. But, there's also the fact they now say a horse is protected for life after a certain number of tet jabs. And I know people with oldies who don't come into contact with others outside their fixed stationary herd who don't have flu jabs, with the vets blessing because of possible side effects. And in theory, provided you get a vet out asap the second your horse gets a minor graze, you could get tet done when required. Although practically not that easy. And from a yo's pov, I don't see it makes much difference. If the horse isn't done, the only one effected is the horse, not other horses or liveries.

It is one of those "it depends" questions.

I think not vaccinating against tetanus probably would count as being an irresponsible owner unless there was an extremely good reason as it can affect any horse at any time and has horrible consequences.

Vaccinating againts flu and other things is less cut and dried, I can see that someone might weigh up the pros and cons and decide not to vaccinate a horse that is kept at home and doesn't go out or meet horses that go out and travel.

Other vaccines it may be even more questionable, for example there is little point vaccinating against strangles unless it is a whole yard programme.

Old nag

Quote Originally Posted by KristmasKat View Post
    It is one of those "it depends" questions.

I think not vaccinating against tetanus probably would count as being an irresponsible owner unless there was an extremely good reason as it can affect any horse at any time and has horrible consequences.

Vaccinating againts flu and other things is less cut and dried, I can see that someone might weigh up the pros and cons and decide not to vaccinate a horse that is kept at home and doesn't go out or meet horses that go out and travel.

Other vaccines it may be even more questionable, for example there is little point vaccinating against strangles unless it is a whole yard programme.
    This, if you are on a yard and unless there is vet advice against for a particular horse, then it is reasonable for YO to insist on it.

If horses are kept at home then tetanus still essential and irresponsible (highly) not to do that esp as its only every 2 years. Flu - responsible to do it if the horse mixes with other peoples - why should they pay for your horses protection by doing theirs and you not doing yours - but if they dont mix then its up to you.

Equine Flu is becoming more of an issue because fewer people are vaccinating.
    Also some vaccinations supplied are not up to date

Remembering back to the days before Vacc was available some horses never fully recovered from Equine Flu and were left with breathing problems etc

This focus article may be of interest
    http://www.aht.org.uk/skins/Default/...2012_focus.pdf
    Last edited by Cuffey; 17-12-12 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Add
    From Horses for Life:
    The intention to harm need not be present for a horse to in fact, be harmed.
    Knottenbelt
    Do unto the horse as you would have done to yourself.

I don't vaccinate for flu as my mare had a nasty reaction to the injection. Had a huge lump the size of half a tennis ball where she was injected and had a temperature and snotty nose. Weighing up giving her the injection when she never leaves the yard it's unfair to put her through that every year!
    Tetanus is always done though