Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WINDSUCKING!

Default WINDSUCKING!

Im going to see a horse this weekend who would be on full loan with view to buy next summer. The only part which is off putting me is that he windsucks although he has a 'miracle collar' which he doesn't do it if this is on. I'm not sure about if he does it when riding as I haven't met him yet. I know that people say that if the horse is a good performer etc then it doesn't matter, just some people are dead against it and obviously it can cause some issues (colic) if not properly monitored. I'm really looking for some HONEST advice as I really like the look of the horse, hes only 6 years old and a prospective event horse.

Honest opinions only please.

Default Re: WINDSUCKING!

Quote Originally Posted by tashie1 View Post
    Im going to see a horse this weekend who would be on full loan with view to buy next summer. The only part which is off putting me is that he windsucks although he has a 'miracle collar' which he doesn't do it if this is on. I'm not sure about if he does it when riding as I haven't met him yet. I know that people say that if the horse is a good performer etc then it doesn't matter, just some people are dead against it and obviously it can cause some issues (colic) if not properly monitored. I'm really looking for some HONEST advice as I really like the look of the horse, hes only 6 years old and a prospective event horse.

Honest opinions only please.
    What do you mean you're not sure if he windsucks when riding

One of mine is a windsucker. I don't use a collar I just let her do it. I've owned her for years and the only issue has been a lot of teeth marks on my fence posts and rails. I own my own land though, some YO will not accept windsuckers or cribbers so you need to check that out prior to moving the horse (if you are taking it to a different yard). She's never been sick or had any bouts of colic. The noise sometimes gets a bit tedious to listen to. Mine is a fantastic horse! And I would buy her ten times over again.

I took on a horse in January, he's a 15yr old TB X, he was in poir condition & his history was 'patchy' I soon realised he was the first windsucker I'd ever seen! The other horses were gobsmacked looking at him lol, the only problem we have is where he hold on to fencing to windsuck, he has wrecked it..otherwise he's not done it when riding or anything. If I'd known he windsucked I would've been dubious but now I know him it doesn't make a difference to me, I love him to bits, it's something we live with..

Veteran

horses can't windsuck when ridden because they need something to hold on to with their teeth to flex their windpipe open enough to suck in the air -hence SF's mention of her bitten fencing.

very good point about mentioning it to any potential YOs where you plan on keeping the horse, as apart from the damage it can cause to fencing some people believe (although others dispute this) that vices such as wind sucking and cribbing can be learnt and thus copied by other horses and some YOs are reluctant to risk this.

It wouldn't bother me if the horse ticked every other box and had no colic related or 'hard to keep condition on' issues that the vice could aggravate.

agree with SF regarding cribbing collars. I hate these. by their nature they have to be fitted very tight to prevent the neck muscles flexing sufficiently to crib and the poor animal has to live in it 24/7, they can rub and look and im sure feel, bloody uncomfortable. Most horses crib immediately the collar is removed anyway so they're only a deterrent, not a cure.
    I'd rather not put a horse through that discomfort and while i appreciate that is only my opinion, they are in no way 'miracle collars'.
    Last edited by lula; 01-11-12 at 02:39 PM.

Mine does it. It may pull price down a little and there is stuff u can do to stop it

Veteran

I wouldn't be put off by a windsucker in the slightest unless it had a history of colic.

They can't do it whilst being ridden and I'm sorry but if you didn't know this and hadn't looked into it maybe you shouldn't be thinking of getting a horse that windsucks until you are more clued up on it?

Personally I'd forget all these horrible collars and just let them get on with it, much less stress on their part.
    There is a world
    Just around the corner of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And dreams come true.

Cribbing is holding on while windsucking, windsucking they don't hold on and they certainly can do it when ridden.

It wouldn't be my cup of tea but at least if you have him on loan first you'd know if the pros of the horse outweigh this very big con.
    Last edited by FfionWinnie; 01-11-12 at 07:33 PM.
    ˙ǝsɹoɥ ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq ǝɯ ʇnd puɐ dn ǝɯ ʞɔıd ǝsɐǝld sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟI

Schoolmaster

horses can't windsuck when ridden because they need something to hold on to with their teeth to flex their windpipe open enough to suck in the air -hence SF's mention of her bitten fencing.

Actually they can, and some do. I have seen a determined windsucker in the middle of a field that has been fenced with electric in an attempt to stop him, merrily sucking and gulping away to his heart's content. they can also do it whilst tacked up and ridden, extreme cases of course, but even so lets get the facts right when we attempt to give advise.

Schoolmaster

I know a very good riding school pony who windsucks, also whilst ridden but never cribs. He is a fantastic pony, worth his weight in gold and doesn't effect him at all aside from him occasionally dropping the contact whilst ridden to windsuck, but this only tends to happen if he's nervous about something or gets confused about what he's supposed to be doing. Doesn't drop weight because of it or colic.

Old nag

Quote Originally Posted by FfionWinnie View Post
    Cribbing is holding on while windsucking, windsucking they don't hold on and they certainly can do it when ridden.

It wouldn't be my cup of tea but at least if you have him on loan first you'd know if the pros of the horse outweigh this very big con.
    You are right, they are two different things.

And both drive me nuts so no I wouldn't!!
    We are in for a gallop, away, away,
    I told them my beauty could fly...