Default Does your horse have Cellulitis? Don't give up.

My horse sustained a kick to his hock in may. After a day or two when the heat and swelling didn't budge, I called the vet out. He said he had to be put down because he thought there was an infection in his hock, and was worried that it would actually move into his hock joint, and then he'd be in a lot of pain. So he gave my horse some pain killers, and then left it to us to decide. The day after we'd been told to put him down, we got a second opinion. This vet was amazing, he didn't give up, and he told us even if we had said to him put him to sleep, he wouldn't of done it because there is a chance for him, he said "where there's life, there's hope!" So he flushed it, gave us a weeks course of Antibiotics. That Sunday my horse was really badly lame, could hardly walk, we literally had to drag him in from the field. We called the vet out instantly, he basically said that it was just because he wasn't moving around enough, so we had to lead him around for 20 minutes every day, then he was allowed to be turned out into the paddock. My horses daily routine was Feed in the morning( this is another thing, he lost his appetite) walked around for 20 minutes, out for 6 hours, walked around for 10 minutes, cold hose on leg, hibiscrub, dry, bandage, feed, then injection. after the 3rd week, he was allowed to go bed and to have play time without a bandage. After we took the bandage off, his leg swelled up massively again, but it was vets orders to keep the bandage off. He then started having his antibiotics in his feed. We gradually increased his play/field time by 5 minutes every day, until it go to the stage he was in a 8 at night, and out by 6 again. After 6 weeks of very hard work and dedication, we got the all clear from the vets, and is now running around the field like a complete lunatic, and is being back summer next year(late developer will be 5) I just want to say to anyone who is going through this with their horse, don't give up. T r y every possible thing you can, yes the bill is going to be hefty, but it'll be worth it. A horse that competed at the olympics had c e l l u l i t i s, and it c o m p e t e d at the o l y m p i c s! There was the option of an operation, but i'm against things like that unless it really is called for, because he didn't react very well to the drugs he gave him anyway, and even the vet said there's more of a chance of losing him through the anesthetics and operation than there is doing it the way I did. Feel free to message me if you want more information. My horse is the only success story i've heard so far, and i want that to change. x

Veteran

Default Re: Does your horse have Cellulitis? Don't give up.

So was there actually infection in the joint? That is how it sounds. Because that would be septic arthritis and not cellulitis. If it is just cellulitis, I have never come across anyone putting a horse down in the early stages of an uncomplicated cellulitis case.

My girl had cellulitis and was cured within a week and a half of box rest and antibiotics?!

I assume you are talking about an infection in the hock, not cellulitis?!!

Well if you are looking for success stories after cellulitis, our pony had it and made a full recovery after a week on ABs. As above , are you actually talking about a joint infection?

I've had a couple with cellulitis - and had it twice myself - and found it easy to shift with the right drugs and good practice.

Are you talking about lymphangitis? That's a bit more complicated and can have a less happy outlook but even then, I know horses who have come through bouts and gone on to compete at high levels.

Glad your horse is back up and running. Always a worry when they're ill! A reminder, too, that many things take much longer than people think they *should* in this day and age of advanced science. Good nursing is often just as significant as medication or surgical intervention.

‎It's a sign of intelligence and growth to change your mind. If you never change your mind, you're never learning anything new.

Smile Re: Does your horse have Cellulitis? Don't give up.

Quote Originally Posted by TarrSteps View Post
    I've had a couple with cellulitis - and had it twice myself - and found it easy to shift with the right drugs and good practice.

Are you talking about lymphangitis? That's a bit more complicated and can have a less happy outlook but even then, I know horses who have come through bouts and gone on to compete at high levels.

Glad your horse is back up and running. Always a worry when they're ill! A reminder, too, that many things take much longer than people think they *should* in this day and age of advanced science. Good nursing is often just as significant as medication or surgical intervention.
    I totally agree with you!!! No, the vet never mentioned anything about lymphangitis.. The first vet said that there was infection, and was worried about it getting into the hock joint, then third vet said that it was cellulitis, and that's what's on his files? It's all very confusing, because we were lead to believe even if he did pull through this, he would only be a idle ornament to graze in a field, but you're all saying that there's more success stories and in fact, I'm thinking my vet has blown it all out of proportion. I can remember the third vet saying something about this tissue in his hock, and we had to do something because it may all solidify, and then it's an instant PTS. I just think they're too quick to say PTS. It was only the fact we said to him, look can we at least try this. If not, we would of put a perfectly happy, young, healthy horse down. The first vet even messed up my other ponies gelding. Hmm very fishy. It's nice to hear feedback that lots have pulled through!!!

I know a horse who's had cellulitis twice before. Cleared up with Baytril antibiotic after about 10days. (Norodine did not work). Get a 2nd opinion from a different
    equine practice and quick-cellulitis is very painful Good luck!

It seems very odd they wanted the horse put down for a simple cellutilits. Perhaps they had reason to suspect there was/might be a joint infection but even that is easily diagnosed with a joint tap, possibly in hospital.

The time involved might have been part of the issue. The first time I got cellulitis I waited a couple of days and ended up in hospital, on an IV for a week. The second time I recognised the signs and "self treated" - don't try this at home kids!! - and my immune system beat it back without any prescription meds, although if it hadn't I would have been straight to hospital.

It is very painful. The first vet may have thought that there was more damage to the joint than there turned out to be. IF the joint had become septic then yes, that might have been carreer ending, in that case treatment almost always involves flushing the joint (not the wound, the actual joint capsule) in a surgical situation.

‎It's a sign of intelligence and growth to change your mind. If you never change your mind, you're never learning anything new.