Default Bute free pain relief

I wondered if anyone would give me there experience with bute free pain relief and which one they would recommend.
    Thx. Tara

Default Re: Bute free pain relief

Danilon I always use it now.

Veteran

What type of pain?

Thanks. She has a rotated pedal bone. She has been on bute for ages. She is not hobbling but she is still feeling it. I'm not riding her obviously I just wondered about giving her one of these alternative pain relief ie devils claw. I have heard mixed reviews some saying its better than bute and some saying its hopeless!

If the horse has a rotated pedal bone, please stick with Bute or Danillon - until the situation is resolved.

She has gone down from 4 a day to 1 but I just wondered if I could use something that is less likely to rip her stomach to bits but still effective....

Quote Originally Posted by usbaldings View Post
    She has gone down from 4 a day to 1 but I just wondered if I could use something that is less likely to rip her stomach to bits but still effective....
    Danilon is supposed to be kinder on the system.

But over such a short period of time, it's unlikely the bute is doing any harm at all.

Yearling

Quote Originally Posted by amymay View Post
    Danilon is supposed to be kinder on the system.

But over such a short period of time, it's unlikely the bute is doing any harm at all.
    I agree with Amy May in respect of long term use of bute. However I thought the danillon was exactly the same as bute but had something in it that was more palatable to the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by keepmeinmind View Post
    I agree with Amy May in respect of long term use of bute. However I thought the danillon was exactly the same as bute but had something in it that was more palatable to the horse.
    Danilon is kinder to the liver - long term use of Bute can cause liver damage I was told. It's around double the price of bute which is why many are reluctant to use it.

A good horse is never a bad colour...............................
    "A good rider can hear his horse speak to him, a great rider can hear his horse whisper, but a bad rider won't hear his horse even if it screams at him." Unknown Author

I tried buteless but found it to be very sticky. On looking at the ingredients list it was full of sugar so I immediately stopped using it. I researched all sorts of no bute pain killers and to be honest, I couldn't find one that would work. Vetrofen looked OK but was very expensive.

Here is a link containing some options, but id speak to your vet before trying any. If your pony has a rotated pedal bone due to laminitis, avoid the high sugar versions.

http://www.pegasushealth.com/horse-s...in_relief/home
    Proud pony hugger
    Benji - 13.2hh Haflinger Gelding
    Twinkle - 13.3hh New Forest Mare