Lightbulb Can horses eat pumpkin?

Daft question; Can horses eat pumpkin? If so are they ok to eat the whole thing? or just the 'flesh' and skin?

Thankyou

Default Re: Can horses eat pumpkin?

They sure can people feed them to protect against parasites - aparently its the seeds that protect them ..not sure if it works though but they can eat the whole inside i'd just cut it in half and see what they want to eat

Quote Originally Posted by trefnantblackknight View Post
    They sure can people feed them to protect against parasites - aparently its the seeds that protect them ..not sure if it works though but they can eat the whole inside i'd just cut it in half and see what they want to eat
    Oh brilliant! Thankyou ... I was planning on making it into a 'snack ball' type thing .. and cutting holes and sticking pieces of apple/carrot ect to keep her occupied in the stable .. Just though it might last a bit longer than when i made her a 'skewer' which was made from apple, carrot and swede which i hung from her stale.. lasted a whole 5 mins.. if that.. so didnt really work!

Veteran

A mate of mine grew them for the first time the other year and over Mucked them and they Grew and Grew too big to pick up and carry was really funny looking at his Beef Cattle in the yards with their heads immersed in monster juicy Pumpkin they Loved them

Quote Originally Posted by Klix View Post
    Oh brilliant! Thankyou ... I was planning on making it into a 'snack ball' type thing .. and cutting holes and sticking pieces of apple/carrot ect to keep her occupied in the stable .. Just though it might last a bit longer than when i made her a 'skewer' which was made from apple, carrot and swede which i hung from her stale.. lasted a whole 5 mins.. if that.. so didnt really work!
    That's a good idea! You could use an apple corer to make holes and funnel all kinds of fun stuff in there!

They can. But if they're anything like mine, they will then make a horrible face and spit it out

Not one of my better experiments, pumpkin.

They much prefer the broccoli stalks.

Veteran

If you are looking for boredom busters, try putting string through a
    swede and suspending it, takes my two ages to eat it