Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Schoolmaster

Default Negative rotation of pedal bone (x rays and before and after)

Hi
    I posted last week about my mare found to have negative rotation of the pedal bone. She's always had longer feet than I would have liked but I've had her over a year now and they were improving (but not rapidly enough apparently). She's unshod and is fed just chaff and a balancer.
    Anyway, below are the x rays and also before/after shots of her new trim. The hind feet are the major problem. The vet is coming back next week to re-assess her feet (and also a forelimb lameness which was the original issue - a nerve block of the front end brought up bilateral lameness behind...).
    I'm happy with the work of the vet and farrier but just wanted to share the xrays as I've found it helpful to look at other's xrays.

Left hind:

Right hind:

Left fore:

Right fore:

Before trim (hind):

After trim (hind)

Default Re: Negative rotation of pedal bone (x rays and before and after)

Gosh, she does have a mismatched set of feet! The left fore actually has some positive rotation from what I can tell. I am learning myself and find all this fascinating. Can someone explain how you can see negative rotaion in the hinds because to me, the negative rotation seems to be where the short pastern bone meets the long pastern, not the pedal bone.

'And if you have a minute, why don't we go
    Talk about it somewhere only we know?
    This could be the end of everything
    So why don't we go somewhere only we know?
    Somewhere only we know' (words by Keane)

Schoolmaster

I'm looking at the line that is sort of horizontal to the base of the hoofs but slopes down towards the toe in the fores but slopes upwards from the toe in the hinds. I think!

I think the reverse rotation would have been diagnosed on the basis of the location of the pedal bone relative to the ground.

OP, was the horse comfortable after that trim? The farrier's been very agressive with the toe.

Quote Originally Posted by AshTay View Post
    I'm looking at the line that is sort of horizontal to the base of the hoofs but slopes down towards the toe in the fores but slopes upwards from the toe in the hinds. I think!
    Yes, it is very interesting. To my eyes, the rotation definitely stems from the pastern joint rather than the pedal bone which is actually still in line with the short pastern.

'And if you have a minute, why don't we go
    Talk about it somewhere only we know?
    This could be the end of everything
    So why don't we go somewhere only we know?
    Somewhere only we know' (words by Keane)

Schoolmaster

Quote Originally Posted by TwoStroke View Post
    I think the reverse rotation would have been diagnosed on the basis of the location of the pedal bone relative to the ground.

OP, was the horse comfortable after that trim? The farrier's been very agressive with the toe.
    Yes, she was! She's on boxrest and I left her alone for 48 hours after the trim (well, she came out to hand graze on the grass just outside her stable but not on hard ground) and she's now walking out on hard ground for 15 mins everyday and is totally fine. The trim was just over a week ago.

Schoolmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Wagtail View Post
    Yes, it is very interesting. To my eyes, the rotation definitely stems from the pastern joint rather than the pedal bone which is actually still in line with the short pastern.
    Does it stem from there though or is it all due to the angles within the foot which are a consequence of the long toe?

Yes, she was! She's on boxrest and I left her alone for 48 hours after the trim (well, she came out to hand graze on the grass just outside her stable but not on hard ground) and she's now walking out on hard ground for 15 mins everyday and is totally fine. The trim was just over a week ago.
    I don't suppose you have photos of the sole before and after trim? *nerd alert*.

Wagtail - I think that may be where the 'rotation' is manifesting to an extent, however it appears to be caused by collapsed, run forward heels in the hoof.

Does it stem from there though or is it all due to the angles within the foot which are a consequence of the long toe?
    I would be careful of assuming that it's caused by the toe - I'm pretty sure the real problem is in the caudal hoof/heels. Just mho, however.

Schoolmaster

I don't suppose you have photos of the sole before and after trim? *nerd alert*.
    lol, sorry, no. But he didn't appear to have taken loads off the sole. She had quite high heels and these seem better now. I wasn't able to be there (all happened so quickly) but apparently the farrier had the xrays on his phone and was looking at them as he did it and those were the pics that he took and sent to the vet afterwards. The wonders of modern technology!

Schoolmaster

I would be careful of assuming that it's caused by the toe - I'm pretty sure the real problem is in the caudal hoof/heels. Just mho, however.
    I agree - the vet actually said it was the heels. Not sure why I said toe above but obviously the whole hoof had issues and the toe was the most drasticly changed by the trim.