Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Veteran

Default Best place to have horses in the UK?

I've been on a little holiday around the UK this week from Cambridge to oxford to cheddar to Wye valley and found myself daydreaming a lot about where I would look to live if ever I was to relocate. Most important to me is safe outriding. Currently I have to go straight onto a road that 7yrs ago you could safely hack down at 8am, now its a major rat run with traffic speeding through thick and fast. I don't feel safe there any more.

I want somewhere with wide verges (rather than hedges tight to each side), not on a rat run route. Some hills would be nice, and loads of bridlepaths, preferably which are trot/canter-able. Nice scenery. Access to competition venues would be nice but not as much of a priority as good hacking.

Do any of you have all this? If so where?!

Schoolmaster

Default Re: Best place to have horses in the UK?

Our hacking is pretty good, but if I moved it would definitely be to the New Forest - you can't get much better riding than that!!

Ullswater - used to live there. The fells, Pooley Bridge swimming, OMG I miss that place so much. I just rode for hours.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Footlights View Post
    Our hacking is pretty good, but if I moved it would definitely be to the New Forest - you can't get much better riding than that!!
    This ^^^^. I am lucky enough to have direst access with hours of amazing off road riding. Yet also can be on the Motorway in 15 mins and have 2 big show centres under 1 hour away and many more about 1.5 hours away. Yes, I know how lucky I am
    Don't let your indecision take you from behind....
    Bucks Fizz

Veteran

That's what I want, the ability to ride off road for hours. Pony loves going out but isn't the bravest. On the roads there isn't the breathing space to work him through any wobbles.

Schoolmaster

The surrey hills have extensive off road hacking- round blackheath, farley heath, newlands corner, st marthas etc.

I am in the Cotswolds, and I think my liveries would agree that I am lucky enough to have one of the most beautiful yards, in one of the most beautiful places in the UK. I still pinch myself regularly!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/AbbeyBarnEquestrian

We are very lucky where I live on the Yorks/Lancs border - we don't have to touch a main road, you can go all day on bridleways and small lanes that have very little traffic. There are A roads that you can go on to keep horses used to traffic, but we rarely use them otherwise. We are also only 12 miles from Manchester, so a big city and its trappings are not far away. Its only about four miles to the M62 from my yard.

Couple of pics of the views either side of the yard (horse have great views!).

The downside here is it really knows how to rain, and the ground is quite boggy! Also I work in London...!
    Last edited by Honey08; 16-08-12 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by teasle View Post
    The surrey hills have extensive off road hacking- round blackheath, farley heath, newlands corner, st marthas etc.
    I second this...it's a beautiful area, Westcott as well, and Ranmore Common by Dorking (near the Denbies Vineyard).

But, the best by far is The New Forest. I live in The New Forest, and the hacking is stunning.

NEWLANDS CORNER !! This has brought back memories - I was the RSPCA Inspector who prosecuted that mad GSD breeder all those years ago.