Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Navicular First-Timer

Evening all,

I wonder if anyone online tonight has any experience of navicular disease? My horse is to be nerve blocked and x-rayed later this week to confirm the vet / farrier suspicions that his lameness is indeed navicular.
    Really I suppose essentially what I am asking for here is any information you might have on how you dealt with the issue and how easily the horse can be "rehabilitated"... Please excure my ignorance... I have had two ponies with laminitis but never dealt with a horse with Navicular!

Thanks all

Veteran

Default Re: Navicular First-Timer

I have recently had a horse diagnosed with early stages of Navicular. This was done with an MRI not X-ray.

How lame is the horse. My horse has had treatment and my vet says that she will go back competing.

The treatment she had was Tildren. I have also got her on the Hilton Herbs NavX. She is also in Egg bar shoes. This treatment was done in the middle of June ands his 100% sound now.
    She is back in work and doing well.

Navicular is not the end of riding them.

Veteran

My horse was diagnosed 2 years ago. He had Navilox and egg bar shoes. He was fine at first but then went downhill dramatically. Despite being totally unconvinced about barefoot there was nothing to loose by trying it as he was v lame and we were thinking he would have to be pts

Veteran

Stupid phone!! But when I took his shoes off he came sound v quickly and is now being ridden again. So it may be worth thinking about that option if he does have navicular.

Thank you for your replies... He has been lame on and off for a few months and has been on danilon / box rest / walking work etc... In all about three different appointments that were all fairly inconclusive except to determine it is not a muscular issue - though the lameness has resulted in muscular changes which will need to be addressed when he is sound. The farrier was out on friday, saw him trotted up and shod him with longer heels and slight wedged

Contd...

Slightly wedged shoes.

Hope that makes sense!!

He has good strong hooves so thats certainly something to consider, annabel2009... Thank you

My horse was diagnosed with changes to his left navicular bone at the age of 10 and was given Navilox for about six weeks and remedial shoes for the next eight years. I was riding him and doing dressage but no jumping but then after nearly a year of retirement due to lameness, even on bute, I opted for shoes off. I was riding him again after three months and off bute by four months. I had another eighteen months of riding hacking and competing him before other health issues forced retirement.
    I really wished the barefoot movement had been around a lot earlier for my horse as I would have had many more years of riding him before his body failed. I came to realise that it was the shoes that had caused my horses feet to grow deformed, i.e. collapsed heels. Once they were off, his hooves completely regained their original natural shape and that restored the blood flow to his feet and the pain that caused the lameness disappeared.
    I would recommend trying that route as there is so much help and support for you whilst going through rehab these days.
    Good luck

"Put the bunny back in the box."

My ID mare was diagnosed with early changes of navicular last year after an MRI scan. Vet and farrier worked closely with each other, I was advised to turn her out as much as possible and continue riding. So far so good She's sound and happy and being ridden about 4-5 times a week.

Barefoot is also an option.

It's not the falling that hurts, it's the landing