Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,332

    Default Horse box clutch issues

    Does anyone know about lorry clutches? The clutch is fine, however I am loosing clutch fluid.
    The mechanic says that part after the clutch is leaking & needs replacing The recepteur embrayage he also recommends I change the emetteur embrayage.
    Which I think means the clutch master cylinder & slave cylinder.
    The cost for the parts and labour are an eye watering 750 eeek.
    My lorry / horse box is a leyland daff 45.130.
    Has any one had to change any of the above and what was the cost !
    Thanks in advance for any answers

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    aboot haff an hour north of geordie land
    Posts
    2,955

    Default Re: Horse box clutch issues

    Oh getting my lorry looked at today , my fluid isn't getting through to the clutch

    Hope it's not going to cost 750 :eel: if I get any info I'll post later

  3. #3
    Veteran Auslander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    3,899

    Default Re: Horse box clutch issues

    If lorry master/slave cylinders are anything like MG's, they will have rubber seals, which are the bits that fail and leak. I'd ask your garage for a quote just to replace the seals - sounds to me like they are quoting to replace the cylinders themselves.
    Vets with Horsepower: Trans-European 'Play It Again, Sam' Tour 2012
    Raising money for SPANA; supporting the welfare of working animals in developing countries. http://www.justgiving.com/horsepower2012

  4. #4
    Old nag Baggybreeches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    LANCASHIRE/MERSEYSIDE BORDER
    Posts
    7,978

    Default Re: Horse box clutch issues

    From memory (I used to sell lorry parts) That sounds about right, clutch master cylinder would be a couple of hundred and slave cylinder not far off, plus about 4-6 hours fitting time.
    I don't think you can buy seal kits for them any more. I assume you are abroad but I know of a company near me that exports Leyland/DAF parts worldwide you could give them a ring. Google James Hart Chorley.
    Sorry!
    'Patience is the companion of wisdom.' St Augustine

  5. #5
    Old nag
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,161

    Default Re: Horse box clutch issues

    My sister is getting the slave cylinder replaced on hers today, She paid 95+vat for the part and about 50 labour
    Note: This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.


  6. #6
    Sport horse
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    466

    Default Re: Horse box clutch issues

    Weve had major clutch issue with our horsebox, including 2 recoveries a week apart, the later being on the motorway. In the end we have had a new clutch and all the hydraulics had to be replaced, twice! Tough wood it's ok now. Don't know about cost yet, havent received a bill as yet. Hope you have a good mechanic!

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,332

    Default Re: Horse box clutch issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Baggybreeches View Post
    From memory (I used to sell lorry parts) That sounds about right, clutch master cylinder would be a couple of hundred and slave cylinder not far off, plus about 4-6 hours fitting time.
    I don't think you can buy seal kits for them any more. I assume you are abroad but I know of a company near me that exports Leyland/DAF parts worldwide you could give them a ring. Google James Hart Chorley.
    Sorry!
    Ill give them a call on Monday as they don't list the parts on line The mechanic quoted 2hrs to change them both.
    I have looked up the price of the parts from HGV direct DAF 45 (7.5 TON) CLUTCH SERVO 667.06 plus vat CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER 177.30 plus vat making 884
    So the 750 fitted does not now sound so bad.
    Given the lorry cost 5750 750 seems a lots for two parts ! Guess thats what you get when you own an older lorry

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,332

    Default Re: Horse box clutch issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte125 View Post
    Weve had major clutch issue with our horsebox, including 2 recoveries a week apart, the later being on the motorway. In the end we have had a new clutch and all the hydraulics had to be replaced, twice! Tough wood it's ok now. Don't know about cost yet, havent received a bill as yet. Hope you have a good mechanic!
    The garage only specialise in lorries so it would seem they know there stuff and come recommended ! Fingers crossed
    Can you let me know what the cost was please ? What lorry do you have ?? Two break downs thats bad luck were there horse's on board ?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,332

    Default Re: Horse box clutch issues

    Quote Originally Posted by angelish View Post
    Oh getting my lorry looked at today , my fluid isn't getting through to the clutch

    Hope it's not going to cost 750 :eel: if I get any info I'll post later
    So what was the verdict ???

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    aboot haff an hour north of geordie land
    Posts
    2,955

    Default Re: Horse box clutch issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Armas View Post
    So what was the verdict ???
    bleeding the clutch has done the trick for now ,it was an air lock and cost me a massive 15 panic over for now
    hope yours can be sorted without to much damage to your pocket
    .................................................. .................. .................................................. ..................

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •