Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Uthopia and Valegro for sale after Olympics

Re the partnerships, I see the point and sympathise but there is also the reality that horses often do not stay at their peak and there is something to be said for letting them go to people who will learn from them and perhaps not push quite so hard. With Carl and Charlotte the only way is up and the first lessening will be the beginning of the end. With someone new there will be new worlds to conquer.

I feel most sorry that horses have to move when they're sold. Given the sorts of things that are important to horses, that must be the real wrench.

Sport horse

Given the financial position of the individual who purchased Uthopia it is not a big suprise. I thought he would have been sold earlier!!
    Last edited by JANANI; 28-07-12 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    I don't believe that Charlotte is part owner of Valegro, so she may not benefit from the sale.
    If that is the case, I do hope that they will give her a share, since she has contributed to his value.

Good luck in the Olympics! (American, hoping for your team to win).
    There is usually some arrangement where the rider gets a percentage of the sale price. If so it will help set Charlotte up financially. I'm sure EG did well out of the sale of Totilas.
    I don't blame them for selling, not many could afford not to.
    Memo

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by christine48 View Post
    There is usually some arrangement where the rider gets a percentage of the sale price. If so it will help set Charlotte up financially. I'm sure EG did well out of the sale of Totilas.
    I don't blame them for selling, not many could afford not to.
    Not sure Charlotte actually needs the money desperately as she was set up quite well by the sale of Fernandez, but I do hope she benefits somehow from the sale of Valegro.

Schoolmaster

Quote Originally Posted by TarrSteps View Post
    I feel most sorry that horses have to move when they're sold. Given the sorts of things that are important to horses, that must be the real wrench.
    This!! The horses are treated like normal horses and get to hack, gallop and get daily turnout - so it is hoped any new owners bare in mind that being 'happy' is part of their great success, not to mention world class riding!!

I didn't actually mean it that way. My experience of top people is they manage the horses the way they have to be managed to get the best out of them. And anyone who buys these horses will not be short of a few bob - the horses will not want for anything! I really have not had this apparently common experience that Carl is doing something unusual by wanting his horses to be "happy". Look at some of the photos from behind the scenes at Greenwich to see what sort of rapport these horses have with their people.

My point is that's it's very upsetting for ANY horse to leave the people and places it knows, not just the rider whom, arguably, they see relatively little of. I know I'm belabouring the point but why is it different for these horses vs all the horses that get bought and sold on here everyday and then people are unhappy when they don't immediately perform as well or better as the did in their previous situation? Being bought and sold and moved around is, unfortunately, part of MOST horses' lives. At these horses are likely to go to someone with the money and the knowledge/support system to give them everything they need. There are worse fates.

‎It's a sign of intelligence and growth to change your mind. If you never change your mind, you're never learning anything new.

Schoolmaster

I am sad but not surprised to hear that I just really really hope we don't have another Totalis, and they are happy and successful with their new owners.

I heard from authorative people that the two horses had already been sold which is sad for the UK but understandable from Carl Hestors perspective.Such a shame as the partnership is the important part as we all witnessed after the sale of Totilas.Still,what do you do if someone waves a cheque book at you when you have a mortgage and other debts to pay.Lets just cheer for them all at the games.

Old nag

On the other hand many horses are sold successfully, e.g. Painted Black or Fernandez, so some can continue to be managed well and can forge new bonds with new riders.