Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Maggots in frog!

Farrier found some maggots in my girls frog no doubt feasting on her thrush I constantly battle with.

So whats the best course of action............Hydrogen Peroxide??? to fizz them out, or is there something better? Her stable is kept spotless and I already regular scrub her feet with salt water and paint frogs a couple of times a week with iodine to keep on top of the thrush - She is a cob with deep clefts and as shod her frogs don't hit the floor, so thrush is always a battle (did try unshod, but her field is very wet Autumn and Spring, and her feet went very soft and started to break up). Have managed to have her unshod over winter, when it has been cold, so the ground was dry/frozen, but come sping and the raing her feet, just fell to pieces.

Proud to hack out looking like 'Bertie Bassett'.

Default Re: Maggots in frog!

Sorry, I can't advise you but reading your post has just put me right of my ice cream....gross, just gross.

Hope you get it sorted though!

If it's that bad, i would CleanTrax them. Order from Equine Podiatry Supplies website. I've battled with severe thrush (in the horse, not me!!) for the past year. CleanTrax is the best thing. And White Lightning (same website).
    I wonder if the maggots were actually doing u a favour though & helping rid of the thrush??

Well, at least the maggots will clean out all the grotty tissue. Copper Sulphate is very good for thrush, get a garden spray, put a teaspoon of CS in, top up with water, spray at least once daily, shake every time you use it.
    Their bones are dust, their spurs are rust,
    Their souls are with the saints we trust.

Sir Walter Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Holly Hocks View Post
    gross, just gross.
    I know funnily enough I didn't fancy eating dinner this evening! Sure they weren't there yesterday or this morning when I picked her feet.

Quote Originally Posted by itsonlyme View Post
    CleanTrax them And White Lightning.

I wonder if the maggots were actually doing u a favour though & helping rid of the thrush??
    Thanks will order. Dunno about doing me a favor, they help with the diet as really didn't fancy eating after seeing them.

Quote Originally Posted by elderlycoupleindevon View Post
    Copper Sulphate
    Will put on my shopping list, I'm sure it is the thrushy frogs that has attracted the flies/maggots.

Dettol will kill maggots, or you could use crovect if you know any sheep farmers around you

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldsparkle View Post
    Thanks will order. Dunno about doing me a favor, they help with the diet as really didn't fancy eating after seeing them.
    Yep - just the thought of it stopped me eating in my tracks. In fact I think the ice cream I already ate may be just about to make a reappearance.....

Old nag

I have some tea-tree, lavender and aloe vera spray, which is really made for dogs skin. It is very good stuff for just about everything skin related and will certainly kill maggots - it's like pouring salt onto slugs!
    "Don't LET him do that"