Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just backed

Default good vibes needed for my mare whos got impacted colic

My mare took colic this morn vet has been out and gave an injection then gave her a paraffin flush a couoke og hours ago. shes a bit more perky now but still hasnt taken amd water or gone to toliet. just wondered if anyone elses horse has ever suffered from this and if so what treatment they received and how long it took to recover and how long before they were back in work again and if you changed anything to do with their diet etc?

Default Re: good vibes needed for my mare whos got impacted colic

My mums cob had that a few years ago, typically he got it when she went on holiday. I got vet out etc & was advised to go up couple of times in the night to check him, but following day we had to take him into the vets as he still hadn't been toilet or drank & was very unhappy he was put on a drip & stayed in for a couple of days thankfully he didn't need surgery. We had to put him onto shavings, as at time he was on straw & has to have either soaked hay or haylage, I don't think he was of work for that long, but I can't remember. Hope your mare gets better soon x
    Last edited by Natz88; 20-07-12 at 08:10 PM.

Veteran

One of my horses had impacted colic last year (we were on the yard when he started colliding). We kept an eye on him and it quickly became obvious that he needed the vet. The vet was at the yard within an hour and 30 minutes later he was in the lorry on the way to Newmarket. He bounced off the lorry looking perfectly OK and it was tempting to load him up and take him home! Anyway we didn't and shortly after he started colliding again and was taken into theatre. He had a complete blockage ane would have died without surgery. Fortunately he didn't need a resection and made a complete recovery.

Old nag

Hope she feels better soon!
    Proud member of "Our horses and ponies have forever homes!"
    If it's not an Appaloosa then it's just a horse!
    Say NO to Rollkur!!

Sport horse

Sorry to hear this and I am sending lots of get well vibes to your horse. My Fell pony yearling had it and he needed 2 visits from the vet to clear it. He didn't drink anything either because of the drench and only passed very small amounts. He was ok by the next morning but took a few days to get back to his old self. Wishing you all the best.

Old nag

One of mine ended up in the Dick vet with an impaction colic that ocurred in the freezing cold weather when she wouldnt drink and was kept in.
    She was given all the routine stuff at the yard by injection, but the vet didnt tube her.
    She went to the vet college and was kept in, they starved her and put an iv in gave pain killers and several large bags of fluid were put in over a 4 day period to help her system cope and flush the impaction through, by flooding her with fluids .she was very sore for a good few days, lost a lot of weight but did recover
    Im sending healing vibes and hope your horse recovers

Veteran

A mare on our yard went through this just last night. She had her gut displaced and was taken into the vets overnight. I'm happy to say she was given IV fluids and is now doing really well, but they've kept her in for observation again tonight just in case. It was truly frightening for all concerned though as she has a beautiful 10 week old filly foal at foot too, so doubly stressful.

I will keep everything crossed your mare has a speedy recovery and send lots of healing vibes your way. X

Veteran

good vibes coming your way hope she's okay!

Schoolmaster

Hi I've had quite a lot of experience with colic as my own horse suffers with it and another livery horse had impaction colic both mine and liveried were sent to vets mine recovered but unfortunately the liveried had to PTs I think you have to be so careful as they can go downhill so quick I would be a little concerned if she has not passed anything as jyet but also if she had had no hhay or haylage then this would reflect this also monitor closely for signs of being uncomfortable going undully quiet lying down all the time vibes for your mare how is she tonight regular checks also

Poor girly. Please don't hesitate to call the vet out again if there's no improvement or if anything seems even the slightest bit worse, colic can get very bad very quickly. I tragically lost my beautiful boy to this just over a week ago - he went from being ok to being in agony in about 10 minutes after hours of no change, so do check her regularly (which I'm sure you are).
    On a more positive note, our little oldie got minor colic a few times last year and recovered fine after painkillers & being flushed, so it's not always a bad outcome.
    How is she now, is she showing any signs of colic - looking at her stomach, lying down etc?
    Sending all of my good vibes your way and hope she improves soon, keep us updated xxx
    Last edited by starryeyed; 20-07-12 at 09:37 PM.