Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How long do you keep your horses' grazing muzzles on for?

Do you put them on during the day, or during the night for example, does your horse live out 24/7? Or do you take them off for short periods of the day? Do you feed hay?

Just wondered what other people's routines were like and if I'm being too anti-grass...

Sport horse

Default Re: How long do you keep your horses' grazing muzzles on for?

My shetland has it on 24/7. Except in Winter when there is no grass anyway and then he gets soaked hay if/when required but he's laminitic so I like to keep him lean x

Schoolmaster

Quick call the RSPCA - mine has his on 24x7 !!

My mini has his on 24x7 in the summer months. He is much happier with his muzzle on and being turned out with my others, than if I had to limit his turnout (which would mean being on his own). He doesn't have it on at all in the winter, and in the summer it is checked daily for any rubs. He has dinky muzzles and so far I have found them to be the most comfortable for him and they have never rubbed.

Sport horse

Lol. You'd be surprised how often I'm told I'm cruel! Obviously never seen a laminitis attack!

I don't have a choice about in without muzzle or out with... My shetland is claustrophobic and won't stay in a stable! The one I use is the Shires Nylon one and has never rubbed x

Veteran

I do a one day on one off regime, or 2 days on one off depending on how they look, this is only because the muzzles rub 1 of my boys badly

Schoolmaster

I'm another one who should have the RSPCA knocking on my door! chuckle.

My mini wears hers 24/7. She has, as yet, never had laminitis and I would like to keep it that way!

I'm so relieved you guys have said that. I've been keeping my mare's on 24/7, with a tiny nibble when she's finished her breakfast/supper. She grazes most of the day in it, so I wasn't too worried, but now she has really started to drop condition. I called a nutritionist the other day who recommended I change her balancer to a more high protein one, which she gets twice a day with a good helping of speedibeet, but I wondered if I should be brining her in to give her hay - that would make things a bit tricky as have no stables built yet! Plans have gone in though...

Farrier was out today and said her feet look great but she could do with some grass! Don't know what to do - perhaps add some oil in her feed? Help!

My 11.2 wears hers pretty much 24/7 during the late spring/summer and autumn but not in the winter. On a daily basis she has a break from it when I take her in and let her roam around in a grassless enclosure whilst I do the field chores etc.

She has EMS and if she didn't wear this muzzle and if I didn't follow a strict management routine including specific supplements she just wouldn't be sound and healthy as she is now. She foundered in all four feet and it was a challenge.

She is used to the muzzle and it is the best one which works for her , I have tried a few. She doesn't get frustrated, it allows her to trickle feed beautifully.

Schoolmaster

Phew I leave my little ones muzzle on all the time at the moment - he's looking ok now but farrier said he's had so many similar ones get lami so to "get te muzzle on him!" he looked so miserable to start with but he's got the hang of it now any tips to stop them rubbing?

Schoolmaster

My little fatty wears his 24/7 and is on restricted grazing too! unless he comes in to be brushed/worked etc.

My mare usually wears hers 24/7 too but i've managed to keep her weight down with restricted grazing and exercise this year so shes not needed it