Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran

Default Who's horses live out 24/7?

Just a wondering really. I'm looking for a loan horse and will need him/her to live out 24/7, with either a field shelter or a nice high hedge to shelter under.

My old full TB lived out probably 85% of the time and was very happy (in fact he disliked being in and would whinny when you brought his turnout rug!), he only really came in if my sister brought her mare in because he wouldn't stay out alone. So I figure that if he can as a full TB (of 24 years) then most others will be OK too.

I've only phoned a couple of adverts so far and the owners are generally reluctant over the living out 24/7 thing. I'm not searching for a full TB, just a nice hack +/- a bit of low level dressage, so breed/type doesn't really matter.

So who's horses live out and what types are they? I'm starting to worry that no one will loan me their horse to live in a good old fashioned, and let's face it, totally natural, field.

I'm a vet!

Old nag

Default Re: Who's horses live out 24/7?

Well - I have an old TB, an anglo-arab and two arabs and the poor beasts live out all year on a hillside in Wales.

ETA a photo of the grey tucking into the hay when we had weeks of snow. (winter 2010-11)

I have an arab out 24/7. I did have 2 arabs out 24/7 but the older one died last year at nearly 34. She hated coming in. even when we had very deep snow, horses were out - there were several shed collapsing due to the weight of snow on the roof and I wasn't going to risk it - they thrived being left out and were fed hay as they couldn't dig deep enough for the grass!

2 wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do
    Will never forget my golden girlie

Veteran

Mine, arabs, an anglo, and a tb/shire. They are all so much better liviing out.

Mine both live out 24/7 with reasonable natural shelter. I have a full TB who was hunter clipped - he's come out of winter really well covered. He was well rugged and fed well. I also have just purchased a little welshy for my little boy and she just has a lightweight for when it is truly horrid weather. Both happy and content. We are in the process of building some stables in the field but this is more a convenience thing than anything else, i.e. somewhere to tie up for shoeing/clipping/grooming if weather is not good.

FWIW I would far rather horses live out as much as possible as I think most are happiest this way.

I have two that live out! one of which is a very fine Irish sport horse, who is very nervey and hates his stable with a passion. since I've had him his not spent a single night in a stable and he has constantly remained condition on a small dinner and some haylage in the winter and a token sympathy bowl in summer. even in that really deep snow we had he was fine, just made him a bit more playful!
    my gypsy vanner cob also lives out with him and its safe to say he has no problems at all. he has COPD so is actually healthier living out then in a dusty stable.

My 2 live out and brat fit about coming in! One very wimpy 4yo kwpn and one 26yo native x, they are happy as larry left out

Veteran

Nice to know there are like-minded owners out there! Maybe I just happen to have come across a couple of the more "precious" ones. I live in Wiltshire, which doesn't exactly suffer from extremes of weather (and both owners I phoned were also from Wiltshire, so they would know this).

Just got to find the right one, I guess, going to try a wanted add with "must be able to live out" so hopefully any responses will be from people happy with this!

I'm a vet!

Schoolmaster

I have a TB x Welsh 2yo who is a free-range (24/7) pony for the first time in his life. He's taken to it very well and really loves it - I can spend hours just watching the herd dynamics between them. He did lose some weight after the horrid weather we've had but is gaining it again. I also have a PBA who I wouldn't allow out 24/7 as he's an ex-lammi and a massive worrier in the field having been born and raised on numerous showing yards so never had much exposure to turnout as a youngster and only lasts 6-8 hours before really wanting to come in. I do think many horses could tolerate it but some people are quite precious with their horses, you will find one eventually.

My share is an ish, 23 year old mare of medium sort of weight and her 8 year old son whose dad was an ID so he's quite chunky, they both live out with a field shelter when they are in the right paddock or hedges elsewhere, I just don't understand people who don't like the idea of them living out! The oldie wears a rug a lot as she gets shivery when wet but they both love being out and never bother with their shelter! The younger one would go absolutely bonkers in a stable... he has a lot of 'character'! I guess maybe people worry more about lami than the cold though and maybe access to box rest?