Default Those of you who've beaten pinworm - help!

Hi

My mare came in from her previous owners with pinworms last sept... and I thought I'd got them pretty much seen off by winter. Stubborn little *******.

Anyway, it seems that they're back, or maybe given the timings and their 5-month life cycle the adults went quiet / died and now the next generation are putting in an appearance :-(

I've read up on a lot of advice and an intensive blast with three doses of Strongid each ten days apart seems to be the best way to go (as I saw on here Liphook now advise?). But I'm interested - given how the worms lay and spread their eggs by getting the horse to rub on stuff.... at what stage of the treatment is the best time to disinfect stable / rugs etc? Exactly at the same time as giving the first dose? Or wait a day or two for it to work through, given these little blighters live right in the hind gut? Little point cleaning if they'll still be laying for a day or two...

Anyone who's succeeded able to advise?

Youngster

Default Re: Those of you who've beaten pinworm - help!

Would be interested in replys as my mums horse has pin worm which like you thought we got rid off but has come back again. My vet recommend 5 day panacur. Good luck

Thanks Langley, it's depressing isn't it?!

Youngster

You can say that again.

Five day panacur and a lotion ( my memory tells me it's wasa panacur lotion but not sure) to apply daily to tail and dock every day for a month . It sorted the problem.

Youngster

We went with the strongid p as prescribed by our vet and mentioned by OP but vet also prescribed an ivermectin lotion to be applied to the backend area to kill the eggs.

Schoolmaster

Interesting, I had a problem with my youngster in February, two doses of Ivermectin 3 weeks apart (second dose because I saw they had returned) then no problem since. I was unaware of a 5 month cycle problem, I'll keep my eye out for them again in July in that case!!

Thanks everyone, I was also planning on doing the topical ivermectin.

So did you disinfect / wash rugs and stable walls / door / wherever they've been rubbing etc? Advice seems to be a thorough wash in HOT disinfectant solution... except not sure at what stage and not really realistic to do it every day!

Apparently the little blighter eggs are so sticky and robust that they cling on to surfaces for weeks waiting to get lapped up by some unsuspecting ponio. As it takes 5 months for them to reach adulthood and start laying again, there can be a long gap where you think they're clear but in fact they went straight back in after you'd treated and they're brewing up again :-(

UGH.

Veteran

5 day panacur and disinfecting everything that he could have possibly rubbed on and getting the power hose out to blast the stables then disinfect them. Dont forget about daft things like hay nets...

Think I did it after the five days but can't remember as was a few years ago now. I found most of the pin worms were obvious in poos for the first 48 hours.
    Last edited by Jnhuk; 09-05-12 at 11:16 PM.

Thanks jnhuk - fingers crossed for this time!