Default How to make a walk fun?

Any ideas? I do tend to like to do more training out on a walk then in the house as they listen more to me and are more in "work" mode?

I do the usual sit before we cross a road, walk with me when off lead, but want to do more especially with the saluki collie cross as she seems to need the mental stimulation while out.

Oh also a further point, the saluki got a cut on her front paw, did scrape part of the pad clean off, but is clean and healing up nicely. She's fine in herself but obviously wants to go out and walk. Any idea how long I should leave it? The OH says wait until the pad is completly healed over. Sadly I agree though dog is not liking it.

Default Re: How to make a walk fun?

Get a paw boot from Pets at Home and get her out or grab a used drip bag from the vets and tape it up.

Walks are more fun if you have a ball to chase or pools to swim in.

RIP Jakey 10.8.10 Yes, my horse and dogs match!
    Proud member of the Infractions Club

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamontoast View Post
    Get a paw boot from Pets at Home and get her out or grab a used drip bag from the vets and tape it up.

Walks are more fun if you have a ball to chase or pools to swim in.
    OH paw boot cant believe I never thought about that! Yeah I will be out tomorrow then! She just looks so down about everything not going out.

We have a ball to chase (although in all honesty both chase the ball, bring it back half way and then drop it and come back to me.) We walk regularly near water and they daren't touch it.

Walk in woods, practically an entire agility course to be found! If you look at fallen trees in the right way! I do this on my dog walks and all the dogs get very excited!

Jog with them, when girly's paw is better.

RIP Jakey 10.8.10 Yes, my horse and dogs match!
    Proud member of the Infractions Club

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamontoast View Post
    Jog with them, when girly's paw is better.
    I'll definatly try that could help the OH who is trying to get fitter as well! Take more work for them.

And the agility course is a great idea, I do have a wood just will need to work out how to get in to it :P

Also sounds a strange but is there a possiblity of teachign a dog how to herd? Classes or the like?

Old nag

Jogging or biking is good for fitness and control. But as CT, wait until 12 months for their joints to mature, but you can be teaching them to come along beside you on foot or on bike and doing short sessions if they are still young.

My fella has done his pads twice, I just exercised him on grass and used spray plaster to seal it.

Use two balls to get the dog interested and incentivise recall/returning the first ball. Use a ball on a string to keep it 'active'.

There are herding classes/trainers.