Default Wonky lower leg in trot.. Any advice?

I'm a novice rider struggling to rise lightly to the trot on my springy cob, I think the issue is that my lower leg is not staying in place and this is causing me to sit on my bum too much in a chair seat and then I'm bumping about in the saddle too much.

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep my leg still and will this then stop the "bump" back down in the saddle in trot?

Default Re: Wonky lower leg in trot.. Any advice?

My lower leg position way fixed by simply riding bareback. :-) also do a couple of exercises at home to strengthen your leg muscles so you'll then find it easier to rise in trot :-)

Veteran

Try thinking about rising forward and back with your hips keeping your body as still as possible rather than up and down. Also relaxing the knee away from the saddle and not gripping with the knee helps keep the lower leg stiller.

Thank you for the advice I'll work on practising this week!

Old nag

try this exercise. Pop you stirrups up to a length where you can easily stay standing but with your heels down and your lower leg in the correct position.

Now ride like this, standing all the time, first in walk, then in trot. It will kill your legs to start! But then you will develop a lovely secure lower leg.
    I was Thistle, then I was beauchamps, now I seem to be Thistle again. If only rewinding in real life was so easy!