Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Old nag

Default Re: sarcoid advice? (stressing out)

My horse had 3, I had them treated with the Liverpool cream and now he has hundreds! Even his sarcoids have sarcoids. I would say do not use the cream, just leave it alone

Schoolmaster

Keep an open mind with treatment. I will PM with some links which will give you some helpful information. Don't panic, I have been through it and *touchwood* my horse has been clear for 2 years now with homeopathic treatment and a professional vets advice.

Old nag

Could you send them to me too please?

Schoolmaster

Ok - will do

There are many different types of sarcoids they can be something they can be nothing, I would get a vet to check .
    The vet if half decent will not prescribe expensive treatments unless necessary, I had one that was banded, fell off never to return, whilst my friends horse with several large sarcoids was treated successfully with the Liverpool cream.
    Do not apply anything as others have said without veterinary advice agree camrosa is an absolute no!
    Lastly try not to worry its really very common and usually not a worry but get it checked out just to be sure .

Old nag

I know of 7 treated with Camrosa (2 of mine and 5 of others) and 4 shrank, 3 stayed the same. So that's just my experience of it. But if so many others are wary I would say go with the majority - perhaps I have just been lucky!

I know of one who went into the vets to have the radiation treatment, sarcoid is gone but there is a MASSIVE scar - this is the only one I've seen treated in this way so might be an exception but it put me off!
    As others have also said probably best to just wait and see, or band it if it's sticky-out.

Just for interest - is it just me or do there seem to be more sarcoids about than there used to? Particularly in young horses?
    May just be that ive happened to run into a lot lately but I definitely think they're on the increase!?

After I brought my mare a flat scar like thing on her shoulder started growing between clips, turned out it was a sarcoid and because of winter rugs the cream wasn't a option so it got lasered off, she does have a scar but it's very small and touch wood she hasn't had anymore, although I'm very vigilant about lumps and bumps now. Speak to your vet and they will recommend the best treatment for that type

Schoolmaster

The original sarcoid I found I tied super super super tight with a plaiting band. It fell and has never been seen again.

Then he was in a field with loads of flies and he now has two more. They're not in easy places to get at - one between his front legs and one just behind where his girth goes. They don't cause him any discomfort but I don't like the idea of them being there. So. Tied off with a plaiting band again - i haven't been able to get them as tight as normal, so have dabbed Bazuka on them and the bits that have been Bazuka'd have died off. At the end of the day they're basically warts - i'll be having another attack on the remaning bits of them this summer!

No harm in seeing if the same or similar works for you.
    "I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either"

Sport horse

My horse had a few little ones on his shealth, one in the folds of skin at the top of his front leg and one in his ear. I got pictures sent over to Liverpool and they advised the cream, as they wern't bothering him I decided to try Sarc-Ex first. Started him on the full dose (2 scoops twice a day) in autumn last year and in the last 3 months or so, all but one of them have turned black and fell off leaving normal, fur covered skin! The other has shrunk right down.

If you ring global herbs they recommend trying it for 3-6 months and if nothing has happened by then it probably wont happen at all, so they are realistic about it. It is quite pricey (27 per tub, lasts about 1 month) but as he wasnt covered for sarcoids on his insurance it has been the best option for me! Also the Sarc-Ex treats from the inside, so hopefully he won't develop any more, whereas the cream just treats each individual sarcoid.

I have a horse who developed sarcoids in 4 sites (angleberry, chest, stifle & inside thigh) at the same time. Vet checked her, we banded two (angleberry & chest) then started her on homeopathic tablets (vet is qualified in homeopathy). All went, started to see them shrinking in a few weeks. That was 3 years ago, have never come back. If you live near the Devon / Cornwall border I could give you the vets contct number.

I recommended her to a friend who's daughters pony had been bothered by sarcoids in her girth region for a few years. Tried the tablets, also saw improvement very quickly, sarcoids now gone for a year.