Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: riders and horses too big???

I don't know where this worry has come from - it seems everyone is utterly terrified that they are too big for their horses, often people who are size 10/12's and are perfectly to fine to ride almost anything!

I'm 5ft7, 9st5 ish, and I only ride ponies under 14.2h, one of mine is 13.1h, another 14.1h and the last 14.2h. I even rode a 12.2h for a few minutes the other day!

Old nag

Quote Originally Posted by happyhacking:) View Post
    when riders feet drag on the floor therefore making roller skates a necessity

As said already, you sound perfectly well matched. I am 5'6 and currently 11stone, my late mare was a 14.2 cob, my friends mare whom I ride is a 14.2 cob and my filly is expected to make about that and I shall ride her happily
    I do think some people's concept is rather skewed of being too big for some horses. There are so many variables involved too such as age of the horse, rider balance etc but anyway, your not too big

RIP my darling Seren, gone but never forgotten xx

OP, that sounds like a perfect match to me!

I know someone who is about 5ft5 and weights about 12 stone but rides a tiny 12.2 pony who is apparently actually 14.2, although a hell of a lot smaller than my 13.2. Must admit, feel very sorry for pony. Far too heavy.

Veteran

Definitely depends on the horses type and I think depends more on the weight as well.
    I have a 19year old very fine tb but she has bred a few foals in her life and she struggles to carry anyone heavier than 10stone. I'm 5ft6 and dont look too big on her.

I also have an exmoor pony who is 12.2hh but she can easily carry me and im 9 stone. When she is fully grown I think she could comfortably carry over 10stone.

I hate riding horses bigger than 16.2hh as I just so struggle to get them to "use" themselves fully and feel like a flea on their back irritating them. I feel like I have to ride 3x more and get frustrated that I can't make the horse do what I want through my seat etc. I also think I do look fairly small on anything around 16.2hh + even though im 5ft6.

I think it starts as kids on ponies. Seem to be a few who now move their kid up, not because they need something more ability wise or are anywhere near too big, just 'because'. I know plenty of 6yr olds on 13.2s, & not the saintly sort either, overhorsed in more than size. Or a few completely the opposite, decidedly heavy kids on small dainty types who are apparently not too big as there legs aren't too long. I've had more than one comment especially from older people when my daughters on her 11.1, that its nice to see a child having fun on a pony the right size for a change. I've also had one or two Mums, whose very young kids are nervous wrecks on large ponies of the 'competent teen' variety I could do with something bigger for her now. I plan to move her on to my 14.2 schoolmistress in a few years, but one person has told me I'd be better with something bigger! Wouldn't mind but she's 4 stone fully dressed in outdoor clothes, & all legs.

Sport horse

Depends entirely on the build, not the stick height. I am 5'9" and (ahem) 12st and ride a sturdy 14.2h Friesian cross mare who has a huge ribcage. I look/feel absolutely fine, and no-one will believe she is 14.2. Heve ridden the mare for 11 years, she's never been lame, unhappy, nor struggled in any way. Horses can cope with much more than most people think.

Goodness gracious, I'm 5'9" but feel absolutely mahoosive after hearing all these other ladies who are my height as well thinking they are huge being 12st and under!!! I thought I was rather slim when I was 12st. Those days are long gone for me I'm afraid but I'm glad 15.3TB doesn't seem to mind

Sport horse

i`m 5ft 10 and my horse is a chunky 16`1

I'm 5'5" and about 8 and a half stone and I ride my 12.3hh and half an inch and 14.1hh and feel okay on both. My stirrup aren't below my smaller pony's tummy but then they are both wide and deep in the girth.