Just backed

Default Naughty Harlequin's first ever show!

As H has been a bit speshull ever since we've had her it has been hard to brave taking her out in public! After 3 mornings cubbing last autumn, pressures of time meant she spent all winter in the field. She came in 7 weeks ago.

We decided some time ago that her job is to go and do Workers eventually, at hopefully a decent level, but decided a Novice at Somerford BSPS was the way forward for her first one. We had a sort of trial run horsecatching at the point to point, which she thoroughly enjoyed as she did some galloping, felt responsible next to the naughty racehorses, and also ate assorted food from small children

It was only 1.00m, but had the water complex and some XC fences in it, with poles on top, including a skinny brush wedge (!) and a rolltop out of the water.

Despite letting herself down by biting me on my love handles as I was attempting to get on, and also biting the kind man who came to help when he heard the bad words that followed the biting, she was ok once I was on.

She then worked in nicely in a quiet corner, so I braved the collecting ring for a jump. When she saw ALL THE HORSES going ALL WAYS and an actual JUMP it blew her small mind and she felt the need for some ninja-style leaps accompanied by mean faces at the quiet, pleasant horses working in around her.

Luckily it was soon time to go in, and to my surprise she trotted in like she owned the place, smiled at the judge with her best face, locked on to number one and STORMED around. She was unlucky just to tip the derby rails behind but was straight to the skinnies, bold through the water and just generally more awesome than she has ever let on!

There was only one clear, and two of us on a fence, so I put my posh hat on and went back in. She was good on the go-round, apart from a tiny ninja-leap at the end of the gallop.

The ride she gave the judge did let her down, as she was overcooked by then and went a bit wooden and stuffy, but she got a good conformation mark and was 3rd in a big enough class.

I am soooo pleased!

All photos are pro, will link when they're online, but to amuse you here are before and after pics, first one is 12th March after a winter out, next one is 24th April, 7 weeks later!

I have French Fancies and Diet coke if you made it to the end!

Veteran

Default Re: Naughty Harlequin's first ever show!

What a difference 7 weeks can make! Very well done on a great first outing.

Old nag

Wow what a difference! She looks great in the 2nd photo.

The first show sounds like it was a success!
    The poster formally known as Felicity_09.

Wow she looks fab now and that sounds like a great first show!!!

Haha NORTY Harlequin! I love the fact that she was such a cow to get on but then goes into the ring all 'butter wouldn't melt'!
    What's next for her?
    'Patience is the companion of wisdom.' St Augustine

Just backed

We'll go to Warrington in a fortnight to check it wasn't just a fluke, then have entered Great Yorkshire Novice as we already have two Open horses going. She's entered in the locals at Cheshire, after that will have to jump some restricted classes before trying some qualifiers.

The jump is never going to be a problem, accepting authority and containing her inner bitch long enough to get through a class is the issue!

And yes, biting is her new thing. She is sneaky about it too, so she's got you before you even know!