Thread: Hot spots

Default Hot spots

Does anybody have a dog who suffers with these?
    I have a 7 year old GSD who recently started to develop a spot or two occasionally and just wondered if anybody has a treatment they swear by.

Default Re: Hot spots

I wash with mild hibiscrub and then apply sudocrem, it usually sorts it. Evie had a hot spot last week (she is losing her coat after the pups and think she just got an itchy bit), one application and she left it alone and it quickly dried up.

I did a bit of digging on the internet and Sudocrem was suggested. Problem is he is the biggest wimp ever and whines and verges on the stroppy if we apply even the slightest pressure to it. And by that I mean even rubbing cream into it.

Our rotties get these a lot, especially in summer when they've been swimming regularly.

I tried sudocrem originally but it seemed to almost seal the area and make things worse. After trying various things the only one that works for ours is Fuciderm but you do have to get it from the vet unfortunately.

What seems to work best is to cut the hair away from the area, wash in hibiscrub and leave it on for about ten minutes. Once rinsed ensure the area is completely dry before applying a thin layer of Fuciderm, if you apply whilst the skin is still damp it irritates the area.

Good luck, it does seem very painful for them so I hope you find something that works.

My daughter has eczema and has been prescribed Fucibet. I'm guessing it's from the same 'family' of drugs as Fuciderm?
    Will try the Hibiscrub route although I have a feeling one of us is going to have to sit on his head!!

Camrosa seems to work on Buster.

Shaving the area will dry it up in no time, it's the hair that keeps it all wet and encourages infection, coupled with licking at the spot I always clip the area right down, then hibi scrub and dry, then apply fuciderm (as it takes the horrible itch away)

I'm guessing the vet will want to see him before prescribing Fuciderm?

Yes probably

Ours does just give it to us over the counter now but I reckon you will need an initial visit.

Veteran

My samoyeds have had the from time to time over the years. Tried and tested method for healing:
    Wash using collodial silver (fantastic stuff for anything inside and out), pat dry, and puff on athletes foot powder.

Depending on how bad it is, repeat daily until dry and scabbing.
    "Although I can accept talking scarecrows, lions and great wizards of emerald cities,
    I find it hard to believe there is no paperwork involved when your house lands on a Witch"

Founder member of the Nommers Clique We Live to Nomm, & Nomm to Live
    Member of the Malamute Massive
    ((((((forage)))))) ((((((**** that - GIN))))))